Meter Registration Service ???!!!

Comments

• Wickywhite wrote: »
    I foolishly fell for their tricks just over a week ago and was blissfully unaware until British Gas callled us to tell us that Opus had put us on a rate higher than the emergency tariff we were on before. I then found this thread. I'm kicking myself fo falling for their spiel, but as they well know, I was extremely busy after moving business premises and tolerated a week of persistent calls telling me that they were a government body and the calls would continue until our details were removed from their system, which was when we agreed new tariffs with a supplier.
    I chose Opus as I was offered a deal with no standing charge ( My contract shows 19.72 pence per day) and was the second cheapest of the list he gave me with a fixed rate term of 4 years. The nil standing charge won it for me.
    Last week we contacted Opus customer services and made a complaint about the Meter Regsistration Services underhand tactics and were told we would be contacted by return. We received a letter over the weekend detailing Opus's Complains charter which we have read and have now contacted their Operations Director by e-mail.
    We also had a call yesterday with a possibility of renegotiating our rates but we want out of the contract.
    Interestingly enough we have had calls from Commercial Power, The Electricity registration Board and Telephone registration today. We have told them all not to call us again, some have even wished us luck with Opus!
    I have contacted Trading Standards today who have basically told me to follow the advice given on here and Opus complaints charter, but they have also logged my complaint.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Some good news to report.

I sent an e-mail to Opus's consumer director explaining the way that I had become one of their customers and that I wanted out of the contract. Opus have just called me to say that they have sent a request to my previous supplier to take back my supply which will result in me being charged nothing for the electricity that Opus have supplied me with.
    Fortunately my gas supplier refused the transfer to Contract Natural Gas and the Meter Registration Service had arranged, so hopefully all should be back to normal. I have taken names and details just to be on the safe side. :T :T
  • Hi All

I have read with interest your postings.
    We recently took over a business and within days of arriving were hounded by commercial meter reg stating we had to give them our meter readings and serial numbers as we were about to go onto an emergency tariff with our providers. We said no initially but were hounded for weeks by them!!! We relented and were changed to Opus energy and Contract natural gas for our electric and gas. As we had no comparison bills having just moved in, we were astonished to find that opus were charging almost a thrird more that our previous energy supplier!!! A £100 a month diference!!! And C.M.R had tied us into a 4 year deal with them!!!!! After complaining to opus they have agreed to release us from the contract, and fortunately our gas supplier had not released us to C.N.G. This devious company is praying on the vulnerabilty of those who they know are stressed and bust when they take on a new business. One positive thing though, opus has given us their contact details ( no suprise when they put the phone down on us when we called to complain about their actions!!!) its:

Commercial meter reading
    6th floor
    City Wharf
    New Bailey
    Manchester
    M35ER

01204 467399

Get on those phones and annoy them as much as they are annoying us!!!:T
  • Wait, they were recommending NPower? Ugh....i cannot tell you the ammount of trouble places like this cause us. Say yes at any blasted point and they'll run with it....(nearly got scammed myself)

If you want to switch, do your own research and contact the company directly. Never agree to ANYTHING from a door to door salesman, person in the street with a cipboard, telephone caller etc.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 308 Forumite
    Awesome bit of thread necromancy, but very justified; im hoping more people return thier feedback who posted a while ago. :j
    Please support my thanks button if I have been of any help
    >
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I am absolutely gobsmacked by the number of people who have been harrassed and then fed a pack of lies on the telephone by this outfit, yet put their trust in the same dodgy organisation to honour their return telephone call cancelling the mis-sold contract!!

DO NOT speak to them by telephone as they clearly CANNOT be trusted, insist on ALL communication in writing - you may need the evidence further down the line. Ensure you keep your bank and current energy supplier fully informed at every stage. Who is to say this outfit will not set up another fake contract in a couple of months time??
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • We too have been getting pestered by this company. Today they rang with a different name, and as my head is full of figures at the moment (doing accounts) I wasn't quite thinking straight. So she gives me the spiel (Tamara was her name) and asks me for my energy suppliers name so she can check if I'm on the best tariff. She calls back 10 minutes later asking for my meter number, I inform her that I can't get outside to get it, she states it will be on a bill. I look at my bill and she says it's a long number, I inform her the only long number I can see is my account number, 'that'll do', at this point ALARM BELLS, I wake from my stuper. I can't give you my account number I tell her, she says she already has my details anyway. I tell her that I have to check a few things out and ask her to call back in half an hour. I then google the COMMERCIAL METER REGISTRATION DEPARTMENT and come across this.

So I now await for her call. My plan - well I'm sure I will be busy at that time and may have to politely ask her to hold whilst I finish off a few jobs.

It's thanks to MSE and it's members that Joe Bloggs is no longer such a fool to scams.
  • familyman_3
    familyman_3 Posts: 11 Forumite
    I too have just had a call form Commercial Power Registrations and I am looking forward to their call back. The irony is that I am the director of a consultancy that advise on energy and utility contracts!

We know of this company and they buy the 'change of tenancy' database information and then cold call vulnerable business people. They tout their business to suppliers in order to get better rates -not for business people but better commission rates. We have had numerous clients who have had dealing with this company and their offerings are Opus Power, NPower and sometime EON. The contracts will tend to be 3 year with EON and probably 2 year with Opus and NPower.

Realistically electricity rates vary from 8.9p/unit to 11p in the far North of Scotland. Longer term contracts ie:3 year vary from 9.11 to 11.78 for the same geography. The Midlands tend to get cheaper deals as the grid was built around the coalfields.

A chatty chap with 'zero' industry knowledge just delivered his speil and prices that were ranked by commission rather than price, when I asked him about a specific supplier for whom I have prices he added a surcharge of 7 pence to put me off!!

This company are classed as a 'brokers'; there are some very good and some god-awful companies. Brokers tend to throw as much mud at a wall and see what sticks, they will provide no support after the initial deal (commission) is made and are there for the quick hit fast turn around business. This particular company do not deal with large commercial electricity supplies (HH meters) and tend to prey on the smaller end of the market. There are also 'consultancies' that do not charge clients - you can ask more of a consultancy in so far that they can become a point of contact to help with suppliers and sort out problems ie: KVA upgrades, power factors, meter changes new installations etc. The consultancy will ultimately be paid by the suppliers but are not driven by the commissions.

What should you do?

Don't take these calls! If energy isn't a critical expense to your business I would ring the suppliers directly, if however the costs are a significant part of your budget or you do not want the hassle of dealing with them, you ought to get professional help -the main reason is the suppliers T&Cs are a 'challenge' -BG are now putting in clauses for clients that allow them to bill you for 80% of a nominated usage -even if you don't use it. A domestic energy switch is relatively simple and can be done online, for a business if you want professional advice try Googling "business switch" and go from there.

I only post this to point out that there are a number of companies in the market that do work hard on behalf of the client and believe in old fashioned service. I'm afraid every market has their share of aggressive players that tarnish everyone else by 'association'.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    mwnw00359 wrote: »
    Hey,

We’ve been getting calls each week from them asking us to switch to EON, in which we said no.

Just to make clear guys. This company has nothing to do with E.ON.

I am sure you already know but if they call anyone claiming to be working on our behalf please tell them nothing.

If anyone is unsure please call us and we will be happy to advise.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Just had a call from these people telling me it wasn't a sales call ??? untruth number 1 and that they were not brokers?? untruth number 2 and that we had moved to an emergency electricity tariff because our contract had come to an end untruth number 3 !!!! Doing well aren't they.

I smelt a rat an took a name and number to check with our suppliers. Our contract still has over 12 months to run and our tariff is the same as it has always been.

I called the company to challenge the individual but spoke to another "agent" because the original individual had gone to lunch, lol, she told me they were brokers but couldn't comment on what the other "agent" had said, so I asked for the name of the MD who is Andrew Pilley and was also offered the compliance managers name Karen Potter so I can write a complaint.

EVERYONE GET ON THE BACKS OF THESE PEOPLE, there offices are at:-
    17 St Peters Place,
    Fleetwood
    FY7 6EB

write to them complaining, they will soon get the message and don't fall into the trap.

Cheers
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    holcotts wrote: »
    ...EVERYONE GET ON THE BACKS OF THESE PEOPLE, there offices are at:-...

Hi holcotts and welcome to MSE. :hello:

A quick google suggests there are an awful lot of companies registered at that same address.

It may be their registered address, but I very much doubt it's 'there (sic) offices' ;)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure