PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

What Does It Mean if There are No Title Deed Info Registered with LR?

2»

Comments

• Thanks once again Mufi for your experience, it seems as though it does need some clarification,and possibly a bargaining tool/incentive for us to show that we are serious and willing to deal with the additional costs/admin.

And GM, many thanks according to your link it should have been registered when first built as it was compulsory in our district from 1974,the property was built in 1976?

I really appreciate your assistance and feel more confident in the knowledge you have all offered in that I can now seek to clarify the issue instead of it cropping up and causing delays further into the process.

Thats providing we have our offer accepted in the first place!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    mufi wrote: »
    Apologies if my post was unclear, but the thread is about unregistered land, and my reply was relevant to that - in our case it was the vendor's responsibility. Perhaps that's because we had a problem with the boundary.
    Yes.

Normally, whether registered OR unregisterd, it is the buyer who registers their Title.

I suspect that because you had a boundary issue, this had to be clarified before the sale could progress. So you (as owner rather than vendor) voluntarily registered your own property, in order to get the boundary clarified.

Then you sold and the buyer registered their ownership in place of yours.
  • Moglet
    Moglet Posts: 166 Forumite
    If land is unregistered and the house is remortgaged, does that trigger registration? If not is it more complicated to do the remortgage?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Moglet wrote: »
    If land is unregistered and the house is remortgaged, does that trigger registration? If not is it more complicated to do the remortgage?

Yes and n/a.
  • Moglet
    Thanks G_M.

What would you think could have happened with my Father's house then. Compulsory registration came in Apr 1985 for where he lives but he remortgaged in 1986 or 1987 - his house is still unregistered.
  • Thanks G_M.

What would you think could have happened with my Father's house then. Compulsory registration came in Apr 1985 for where he lives but he remortgaged in 1986 or 1987 - his house is still unregistered.

If he bought it before 1985 then as re-mortgaging (as opposed to a purchase) only became an act that induced compulsory first registration from 1998 it would not have had to have been registered when he re-mortgaged.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Moglet
    Thank you Richard for clearing that up. Yes, he bought the house in the late 70's and remortgaged in 86 or 87. He's just about to remortgage again so it looks like the house will need to be registered at this point.

Hope Natwest's free legals will cover that for him.
  • Moglet wrote: »
    Thank you Richard for clearing that up. Yes, he bought the house in the late 70's and remortgaged in 86 or 87. He's just about to remortgage again so it looks like the house will need to be registered at this point.

Hope Natwest's free legals will cover that for him.

Once it is re-mortgaged and the bank registers it with HMLR, ask them for the deed pack - a lot of banks and building societies do not require them. And LOOK after it. Do not let them destory them. There are many details with the original deed pack that "disappear" if left to banks and HMLR. I like looking at the original plans rather than the latest Ordnance Survey base plan.

John
  • Once it is re-mortgaged and the bank registers it with HMLR, ask them for the deed pack - a lot of banks and building societies do not require them. And LOOK after it. Do not let them destory them. There are many details with the original deed pack that "disappear" if left to banks and HMLR. I like looking at the original plans rather than the latest Ordnance Survey base plan.

John

Yes, and it isn't just the literal "deeds" that are important - there could be consents for extensions under covenants, and copies of guarantees (and importantly the contracts/estimates leading to the guarantees for glazing, damp-proofing, timber treatment etc etc) planning and building regulation documents that will either be irreplaceable or will at least cost £10-£20 a go to replace on a sale if lost.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure