Rainwater downpipe overflowing - is this covered by house insurance?

In the torrential downpour yesterday, it soon became apparent that the rainwater downpipe at the back of our house was full and overflowing. The water splashed out over the top and onto the brickwork behind. Damp has seeped through the brickwork and stained the inside wall in our loo.

Water has also spilled over the gutter next to the rainwater pipe, and left large brown patches on our bedroom ceiling. Today there was another downpour and the water started dripping down through the patch nearest the gutter on the bedroom ceiling. The water is also coming through the conservatory roof at one point.

It looks like the rainwater pipe has become blocked in some way, impossible to tell how, and we have no access to it.

Is this likely to be covered by our house insurance? We are insured for the buildings with Zurich Home Solutions. The policy says we are covered for sudden and unexpected loss of or physical damage to the buildings caused by (list of events). The events include (5) storm or flood and (8) water leaking from any fixed appliance. However guttering and rainwater pipes are not specifically mentioned. (The roof was repaired last year and is not leaking, we know this because we have access to the roof space.)

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Your policy will cover the damage caused by the water ie redecoration of bathroom, bedroom etc, but it won't cover the unblocking of the pipe. Thats just down to lack of maintenance on your part.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Mm had all the gutters cleaned out this time last year when the roof was done.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,094
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    But insurance is there to cover emergencies, not to cover the costs of routine maintenance. Other wise everybody would use their insurance as a free maintenance service. It was never invented for that.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • usignuolo
    usignuolo Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Yes I understand that - but I have maintained my house that is the point, I had the roof repaired last autumn (it was actually last september-october I just looked it up) and the gutters cleaned at the same time. The front gutter/rainpipe is not leaking/the rear gutters are not blocked, the problem is the rear rainwater downpipe. I assume something has fallen into it quite recently. I would just challenge that it is caused by poor maintenance. It could happen at any time. I can hardly have the gutters cleaned weekly.
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I had my ridge tiles done in March and some tiles replaced. The builder then cleaned the gutters but not very well maybe same happened to you. I know same builder did same to next door too and he had a leak in his down pipe. I always do my own gutters and paint the inside same time
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    it is a fairly easy job to do , normally any obstruction occurs in the bend from the gutter to the actual down pipe , normally leaves etc get wedged in there ,
  • emmatthews
    emmatthews Posts: 678 Forumite
    If it is difficult to access, maybe you should put some type of mesh over the top once it's cleared to help avoid it happening again.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Doubtless all the debris from the guttering was flushed into the downpipe when they were cleared and is now blocking it. It's a maintenance issue, as already advised.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Cleaning the gutters is cleaning the gutters, not cleaning the gutters and downpipe
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ive known cowboys to clean out the gutters and then shove the debris into the downpipe.
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport