PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

basic bread recipe in breadmaker! help!!!

Comments

• dorry_2
    dorry_2 Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    mah_jong wrote:
    Have you got the correct yeast?? I got a regular one once and the difference is huge!!! Or rather small....a small dense loaf....so disappointing!! Make sure it says for breadmakers on it.

Which bread maker have you?

i have checked packet, its the hovis one and says its suitable for breadmakers. which one do u use?
    'If you judge people, you have no time to love them'
    Mother Teresa :D
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Delia (slowly lowers his head to show defference) :D says that plain flour will make as good a loaf as any shop bought so I gave it a go. The results were lighter, better risen, more even and softer than when I used strong flour. 19p v 51p so guess which one I now use. My breadmaker is an old Mellerware one but it may be worth you giving it a go and see if it works for you.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't have a bread maker but make my bread by hand just like my granny used to.. Mind you it's no where near as good as hers used to be, not yet anyway. Does anyone have a recipe for herb bread / cheesey herb bread and can they let me have the quantities. I did find one but the quantities were in "cups" whatever they are !!! Also can you use dried herbs??
    thanks everyone, great forum by the way !!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hiya,

There's a useful breadmaking site here:-

http://www.breadinfo.com/

With some recipes here:-

http://www.breadinfo.com/recipes.shtml

..though not the particular ones you asked about. In most cases a couple or three teaspoons of a herb or spice will be plenty and about three ounces 75g of fruits or other solids is fine.

Edit: Actually there's a herb cheddar recipe in the machine recipe section that you could adapt :)

As for cups - the americans work by volume rather than weight.

You can usually buy plastic cup sets in pretty much any supermarket - but for recipes that are ALL cups you just need to use any old cup or mug you like and as long as you use THAT mug for all the ingredients the proportions will work out fine.

In the meantime - an american cup is 240mil and a european one is 250mil

Hardly worth bothering about the difference.

To get quantities right for a recipe that's one cup of something and everything else in in tablespoons etc there's a way to sort this out.

Put a mug or glass on your scales (glass is better 'cos you can mark it) and zero them. Now add water until the scales show 250grams. This is where you can stick a bit of label or sticky tape on the outside of this glass to mark the water level.

THAT is one cup :)

Just dry the glass off and fill it with flour or sugar (whatever) to that level and your recipe will be right.

If you happen to have a smaller glass or tumbler that comes to about 250 when full it's even easier :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • KTFrugal
    KTFrugal Posts: 74 Forumite
    Ingredients:
    2tsp dried yeast
    1/2 pint warm water approx
    1lb bread flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tbsp olive oil
    8 oz grated cheese - cheddar, gruyere work well
    2 tsp dried herbs of your choice

Make up dough without cheese using the sponge method. Knead 10 minutes, then knead in cheese. First rise, 1 1/2 hours, rest 10 minutes. Form into 4 flat loaves, rather like ciabatta. Sprinkle with extra cheese if liked. Second rise 45 minutes. Bake at gas 6 for 25-30 mins.

You can slash the loaves through to form an open pattern if you like. Do this after the first rise. This is the traditional French shape for these hearth breads, but the dough works well as a regular loaf, if that's what you want.

Good for using up odds and ends of cheese...
  • I'm feeling very brave and am going to attempt to make some bread tonight for the first time ever :D I have searched online and on here for a very basic white bread recipes but they all seem to be for breadmakers or include things like lard ( :eek: ) or shortening, whatever that is.

Can someone please just tell me if I can make a white loaf using any of the following that I have in the cupboard:

Dried yeast sachets
    plain flour
    self raising flour
    semi skimmed milk
    butter
    veg & olive oil

Any help would be much appreciated. I've already made cheese biscuits & pizza dough from recipes found on here which were a complete success so am really eager to try this too

Many thanks
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    I assume you don't have a breadmaker (not needed anyway). However, you will need strong flour to make bread. It's in supermarkets.

Try this recipe
    :
    Ingredients

15 g (½ oz) fresh yeast or 7.5 ml (1½ level tsp) dried yeast and a Pinch of sugar
    450ml (¼ Pint) tepid water
    700 g (1 ½ lb) strong white flour
    10 ml (2 level tsp) salt
    Knob of lard, butter or block margarine

Method

1. Grease a 900 g (2Ib) loaf tin, or two 450 g (I lb) loaf tins.
    2. Blend the fresh yeast with the water. If using dried yeast, sprinkle it into the water with the pinch of sugar and leave in a warm place for 15 minutes until frothy.
    3. Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl and rub in the lard. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the yeast liquid. Stir in with a fork or wooden spoon.
    4. Work it to a firm dough using your hand, adding extra flour if the dough is too slack, until it leaves the sides of the bowl clean. Do not let the dough become too stiff as this produces heavy "close" bread.
    5. Turn the dough on to a floured surface and knead thoroughly for about 10 minutes, until the dough feels firm and elastic and no longer sticky. Shape it into a ball and place in a large mixing bowl.
    6. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel to prevent a skin forming and allow to rise until it has doubled in size and springs back when pressed gently with a floured finger.
    7. Turn the dough on to a lightly floured surface and knead well for 2-3 minutes, flattening it firmly with the knuckles to knock out the air bubbles.
    8. Stretch the dough into an oblong the same width as the length of the tin, fold it into three and turn it over so that the "seam' is underneath. Smooth over the top, tuck in the ends and place in the greased loaf tin.
    9. Cover the tin with a clean tea towel and leave to prove for about 30 minutes or until the dough comes to the top of the tin and springs back when pressed gently with a lightly floured finger. If you want to glaze your bread do it now.
    10. Place the tin on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 230°C (450°F) mark 8 for 30-40 minutes, until well risen and golden brown. When the loaf is cooked it will shrink slightly from the sides of the tin.
    11. Turn out the loaf; it will sound hollow if you tap the bottom of it.
    12. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    right, first time using bm and ive went to put the mix in and ive no sugar. i only have brown sugar or sweetener. anyone any ideas??

so far have put oin skimmed milk and water. Using one of pinks recipes i tink

Water: 1 and a half cups
    Skimmed milk powder: 4 tablespoons
    Sugar: 3 tablespoons
    Sunflower oil: 4 tablespoons
    Salt: 2 teaspoons
    Flour: One cup wholemeal, one cup strong bread, two cups of plain
    Yeast: 1 and a quarter teaspoons
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Use the brown sugar, it will make not one jot of difference.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure