Cavity Wall Insulation

Sorry if this is in the wrong place - so feel free to move it.

I would like some advice on Cavity Wall Insulation. I have researched on various websites, including this one, to see what the overall review is on having this done.

I live in a 1980's house and to be honest after reading some of the reviews on it feel a bit apprensive about having it done. A lot of people seem to experience problems after having it done with regards damp etc. I know you get guarenteed work but then you would have a fight on your hands trying to prove it. I don't want hassle, just a god job.

I was going to go through E'on who I know contract it out and say they have it at a special rate at present. I happen to phone the company that they would contract it out to and they quoted me the same price, so obviously there is no 'special rate' anyway - not that I'm bothered although it would be good to have a bit of a discount.

So verdicts please, do the risks outway the pro's. and is it worth it.
TopCashback £1792.63
My Little World

Comments

• miken
    miken Posts: 246 Forumite
    I also am interested in getting this done but am worried that I will possibly be up to my neck in condensation.
    Just had an email from Tesco who are quoting £199 to get the job done. I guess this is also sub contracted out.
    Is there any other company offing this service at a cheaper rate?/
  • I have the same issue. I really want to get this done to save money on bills and keep everywhere warm but wherever I look I get half the people saying it's fantastic and half saying it's a nightmare that leads to damp and condensation.

I can see the arguments from both sides and whilst there is a 25 year guarantee it might not be worth the paper its written on.

Perhaps only the people with bad experiences bother to tell people, in which case it could just be a handful of cases that go wrong whilst the rest are fine. Thing is it's quite a big risk and a lot to correct if it goes wrong...

I have a price of £220 from EON and the installer came today and said "no problem" and said damp wasn't an issue. He would say that though wouldn't he? I can't help thinking that if something looks too good to be true then it probably is.

If only it was an easy decision.

As this is the first year in our new house I'm tempted to try and get through the winter without it and see how we fare, then maybe revisit next year.
  • Had it done in a previous house - no problems.

Friends and family have had it done many years ago, all without problems.

Just had it done via Powergen in our current house.

Foreversummer
  • I rang British Gas a few weeks ago about Cavity Wall insulation for people over 70 and was told it was free.

They gave me a phone number for a supplier who appeared a few days later.

After looking round the Stone Bungalow I live in he said his firm did not do cavity wall insulation for Stone house etc ,only brick etc.

When I checked the firm they told me they had, had too many problems with damp in Stone bungalows and would not do any work for myself.
    On checking I find that quite a few Stone house in my area have had to have the insulation ripped out because of damp at a cost of £3000,comments ?
  • I had cavity wall insulation installed last december in my house, I went through british gas.
    I have found my house a lot warmer and no problems yet.
  • I too have only been in my house a year (well in Dec it will be). I'm still a bit apprehensive. The Tesco one sounds good. I bet you could get points on that too.
    TopCashback £1792.63
    My Little World
  • I thought I'd let you know my decision, in case it helps anyone else.

We've decided to wait until the spring and take a proper look at this. Whilst it is SO tempting to spend a bit of cash to save money and get really warm I really can't be doing with and potential damp/condensation and the subsequent need to make loads of corrections to a just decorated house.

We'll put the £200 it would cost towards our heating bills and in the spring I'll get an independent chap to look at our house and tell me if its suitable and then find an offer it is.

It's a close call but as its a old detached house (1925) on a hill with the original bricks and mortar in place I think we'll pay it safe.
  • I notice that apart from Lizardbuoy non of you stated if you had a Stone house & have anyone of you had a stone house cavity wall insulated.
  • AEKI
    AEKI Posts: 12
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lizardbouy wrote: »
    I can see the arguments from both sides and whilst there is a 2year guarantee it might not be worth the paper its written on.
    2 years? I've had mine done with Hillserve working on behalf of British Gas and been given a 25 year guarentee :j
  • You're right, it's a typo...25year guarantee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport