The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?

Hi. Im installing a new kitchen, black gloss with walnut worktops, and am thinking about the flooring. Nice shiny gloss floor tiles ,I think, would give a luxurious finish though Im not sure what colour to go for. (suggestions welcome) the problem is that I enter my house via the back door which is the kitchen door. Im a gardener and so come home often dirty, sometimes wet, and so risk bringing dirt/mud/grit onto the floor. Im wondering if having shiny floor tiles is a good idea or not? Will they scratch and dullen? (dullen? is that a word?) Does anyone out there have gloss floor tiles? Recommend them or should I stay away?
many thanks.

Comments

• moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've just had a hardwood floor sanded down and re-lacquered. The man who did it said gloss looks great until it gets marked then it starts to look tatty very quickly. Even rubber soled carpet slippers will leave scuff marks.
    I had a satin finish put on which looks really good.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    I've recently had some ceramic tiles put down in the back lobby area (my main garden access) & they seem to be holding up to the mud/grit/muck that I tread in from the garden. Of course they get dirty quickly but a quick hoover & mop brings them up like new. I went for a creamy beige, slightly mottled to help hide the mess I knew I'd bring in & it does (kind of) work. I used grey grout for the same reason.
    Not sure what you mean about 'gloss' tiles, as mine are quite shiney (when they're clean :rolleyes: ) or do you mean something more like wall tiles?
  • matty_hunt
    matty_hunt Posts: 366
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure what you mean about 'gloss' tiles, as mine are quite shiney or do you mean something more like wall tiles?

Ive seen some creamy beige tiles that have a highly polished, mirror like finish. I dont know if there is a proper term for them. I use glossy as they are reflective like the gloss kitchen units.
  • never_enough
    never_enough Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    matty_hunt wrote: »
    Ive seen some creamy beige tiles that have a highly polished, mirror like finish. I dont know if there is a proper term for them. I use glossy as they are reflective like the gloss kitchen units.

Can you post a link to them? I'm intrigued now :D .
  • rizla01
    rizla01 Posts: 7,254
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was going to have all sorts of different finishes/colours in the Kitchen till I went into B&Q and saw some ceramic floor tiles for £4 Sq mtr.

(It's only a flat, mind you)

Money talks.:)

Seriously, I bet High Gloss floor tles will look stunning, Esp in White. What about grip, though?
    "Unhappiness is not knowing what we want, and killing ourselves to get it."
    Post Count: 4,111 Thanked 3,111 Times in 1,111 Posts (Actual figures as they once were))
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
  • Shiny gloss floor tiles- yes or no?

Don't scratch !

Non slip !

Don't dull !

Have fitted them in properties 5 years ago still good as new !

LUV EM !! but not in white
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    I have not long finished a job where the client had very high shiny floor tiles, they looked brand new, I asked how long they were down, as I really though they had just had them put in, he said about 5 years ago, mind you they do wash them practically every day.

Mind you, and not too sure about the high gloss kitchen units, and then having high gloss tiles, would it be in your face?

As long as you dont put silk on the walls or gloss on the woodwork, you may get away with lol.

I do think a nice satiny mottled type would be better, but thats me, as I cant stand anything to glarey in my face.:D
  • sloughflint
    sloughflint Posts: 2,345 Forumite
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    I've just had a hardwood floor sanded down and re-lacquered. The man who did it said gloss looks great until it gets marked then it starts to look tatty very quickly. Even rubber soled carpet slippers will leave scuff marks.
    I had a satin finish put on which looks really good.

I don't think this applies to ceramic tiles. We've got porcelain tiles, some very old and they are still shiny/easy to clean.
  • Ancalime
    Ancalime Posts: 84
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi
    I have shiny white floor tiles in the bathroom which look lovley when they are clean but they show up any speck of dirt! They do clean up well tho. I have black ones with a slightly more matt finish in the kitchen and these tend to show up less marks. I think a gloss finish should be fine and it seems to be just as hard wearing as the matt but watch what colour you pick if you don't want to be constantly scrubbing the floors! hope this helps
    New house, garden and kitten. oh my!
    :rotfl:Member 258# of Murphy the Cats no more pies club
  • I just bought some glossy tiles from wickes, they had 20% off not sure how long its on for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure