Real-life MMD: Whose glitch is it anyway?

Comments

• Gillsx
    Gillsx Posts: 56 Forumite
    It's their risk if they spend it as the charge could be put through at a later date. Their bank account and you are not entitled to anything. End of.....
  • It's not your, nor your friend's money. The friend has to keep it as it will be collected from him one day. I'm suprised that you even concidered asking for it back.
  • The money exchange place can debit the money at anytime. If your friends bank a/c is the one being used for the currency they may debit in the future so you both shouldn't assume they aren't going to because they haven't to date.

You also shouldn't be arguing over who the money belongs to - it belongs to the money exchange place who may well debit any day now - so you'd be daft to go spend this money. I'd advise your friend to leave it in his a/c for 6 months and if they still haven't debited it by then - they may not do so.

If you want to do the decent thing - ie some member of staff may have made a genuine error and may be under threat of losing their job for this - then contact the exchange place to inform them and ask why the money's not been taken yet?

I don't think it's right to expect your friend to give you the money back as their a/c could be debited any time.
  • It's a bit of a dilemma really, the correct thing to do would be to advise the bureau, but at the same time, the banks have been robbing us blind for years, so who, in reality, has the moral high ground? :whistle:
  • Before worrying about which of you deserves it more, remember it is actually the currency exchange's money so you should own up and give it back if they want it.

If they don't - and certainly in my happy experience some insurance companies are so dumb they cannot cope with oddities like this - then you should probably split it, but work on the assumption that you are giving it back.

To spend it is technically fraud and remember that it is the account holder who is liable, so if you divvy it up and they come after you, he's the one who will be in trouble.
  • Wow, if he's a friend I'd hate to meet your enemies....never mind the £200, dump the friend and move on. Quick.

Wowee - to all you people saying dump the friend...what has the friend done to you? he got your euros for you (without charging you for the effort) - and the bank hasn't debited his account - yet!
    So how does that affect you?
    Correct me if I'm reading this wrong - but you are the one thinking he should give you £200 - WHY?
    Pot calling kettle black! If I was the friend - I would want to be dumped - so fast......
  • Shreddie
    Shreddie Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't get involved in this. You got your Euros. Your friend will get the £200 deduction from his account at some point. The money isn't your's or his. Stay out of it.
  • What goes around comes around, one of you you will get shafted for the cash at some point. If I was in this position it wouldn't be me.
  • florere
    florere Posts: 104 Forumite
    It isn't yours, it isn't his, it belongs to the bureau, he should contact the bureau and tell them about the mistake.
  • My boyfriend works for a well-known bureau de change chain and, in that particular company, the individual member of staff has to pay back any shorts out of their own pocket. Only keep the money if you are comfortable knowing that it has most likely come out of the pocket of someone on minimum wage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure