Integrated vs. Freestanding washing machine difference

Hi All,

What is the difference between an integrated washing machine and a freestanding washing machine?

I am considering buying this freestanding AEG machine with the dimensions 60(w)x85(h)x61(d) and I want to integrate it into my new kitchen.

I am assuming I will have to place it where a base unit would go and attach a door/plinth to the neighbouring base unit. This should hide the washing machine and save me about £200!

In my kitchen plan, the washing machine will have about 20cm of room at the back (thanks to a void) for all the plumbing.

But I am worried that I have overlooked something...

The washing machine that I plan to buy is:
https://www.appliancedeals.co.uk/Product_Information.aspx?BackLink=FreeText_Products&Productid=4448

Thanks,
Pete.

Comments

• JennyW_2
    JennyW_2 Posts: 1,888 Forumite
    I think you'll find that you need to purchase applicances specifically to be integrated. the whole mechanics are different to those used for free-standing in a kitchen.
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    They are very different beasts in some ways.

Prmarily the "kick" in to accommodate the kitchen plinth as well as the door fixings themselves. Basically, but integrated if that's what you need/want as you won't be able to retro fit a freestanding machine the same way, period.

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If the machine will be able to be pushed far enough back to sit behind the line of the plinth then it will work. You say you have an extra 20 cm at the back, can the machine be pushed back into this space?
    My son has a similar set up and it works for him. You need to measure it up and decide.

You will not be able to fix the door hinges to the adjacent unit, you will need to fit blocks or a strip to the unit first (the same thickness as a unit side) once the machine is in place, and fit the hinges to this. On the other side you will need a similar strip for the door to close against. These will need to be easily removable for getting the machine out of the space if repairs are needed.

The plinth will need to be fixed to the door so it opens with it.

So, yes, it could work. But if you have to pay someone to do all the joinery it may well not end up any cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure