PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how do i descale steam generator iron

How doI descale steam generator iron.Mine is a couple of years old but the steam doesent come out as it used to, so think it needs descaling. Help anyone.
:confused:

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi redpandabear,

This thread may help:

Does anyone know how to descale an iron?

I'll add your post to that one later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • I did look on this thread, but it does not say the steam genorator type, as you put the water in a seperate chamber then it goes to the iron, and does not sit on the sole plate,so in theory should not block.
  • I would be very interested to find out how to do this too - I have a steam generator and am finding the same thing - the steam is not as "fierce" as it was. I was thinking of putting some white vinegar in the water chamber but am afraid of ruining the whole thing.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    I put some white vinegar and some water in the chamber of mine, switched it on to heat up, then pulsed steam through until the chamber was empty and wiped the soleplate clean. That seemed to work.
  • I've got one of these steam generator irons, but it has stopped giving out steam altogether although the soleplate still heats up. Do you think descaling it might help, or does it need repairing?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member # 593 - Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts!

• mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Mine needs to be cleaned out after every 10 uses, it is a tefal, I have to undo a screw in the side (which is under a white cap) pour in about a jugful of water (it did come with a tap attatchment but this does not fit my kitchen tap), do the screw up again and give it a gentle shake, then empty the water out, I do this until there is no more loose scale coming out x
  • harley1
    harley1 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Hi. Mine is a Tefal and I am supposed to descale it once every 10 uses. (ooops)

Anyway, it came with a pipe and tap attachment that you use to flush the machine through. Seem to remember I made a real mess when I tried it last, but since it is leaking brownish scaly stuff I guess it's time to do it again. If I can find the pipe thingy I'll try to give a more accurate description

HTH
    Harley x
    Cross Stitch Challenge member 11 - May challenge well under way

Very proud mummy to Gorgeous baby girl - 29/09/09 :j

Thanks to all who directed me to Quidco - £289.30 since Nov 09 :beer:
  • harley1
    harley1 Posts: 1,350 Forumite
    Blimey, found it straight away. Think that's a first in my house:o

It's about a 2ft long clear plastic tube with a tap attachment at one end (which doesn't look like it's going to fit on my new tap either) and a plastic casing at the other which fits into the side of the base.

Looks like I'll be trying mum26's way if I can't force the rubber bit over the tap

Harley x
    Cross Stitch Challenge member 11 - May challenge well under way

Very proud mummy to Gorgeous baby girl - 29/09/09 :j

Thanks to all who directed me to Quidco - £289.30 since Nov 09 :beer:
  • how much white vinegar and if this is mixed with water in what parts, should i put in its chamber, as mine does not have this tap thing. thanks
  • I tried with half water half vinegar, this seamed to work, but i cant get rid of the vinegar smell when i use the iron, hopefully this will go after a few uses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport