Does charging things via Computer/USB save on Electric?

2»

Comments

• Magentasue wrote: »
    We've found the most effective ways of cutting costs are to minimise use of things that heat (dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier) or use of cheapest programmes and cut energy used by things used for hours a day (A rated appliances like fridges when you replace them and energy saving bulbs for lights used a lot).

Yep, agreed.

Done all this too i.e using "Economy" cycles on Dishwasher & Washing machine, using the microwave rather than putting things in the oven etc etc. Have energy saving bulbs all over the house too.

But our bills still seem high, so we're basically trying anything else we can think of really.:confused:
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    But our bills still seem high, so we're basically trying anything else we can think of really.:confused:

How many kwh a day? We're using about 15-16 a day this month. 13 a day in the summer.
  • Magentasue wrote: »
    How many kwh a day? We're using about 15-16 a day this month. 13 a day in the summer.

1122 units used last quarter (91 days) - which i worked out as 12.33 per day. (Which is still quite high for us really).
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Beg, borrow or steal an Owl energy monitor. You will soon see where the energy is going.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Well, there are six of us including four kids (adults and teens) permanently plugged in and charging their reasons for being when they're here. Average of 13kwh a day required concerted effort!
  • CrashUK
    CrashUK Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    basmic wrote: »
    My computer is on very much 24/7, but I'd have to buy a USB charger for my mobile phone if I wanted to charge it with a USB lead. This would obviously negate any of the positive financial gains.

That said, I do use my computer's USB ports to charge devices that come with a USB charging cable.

I have power meter and it does make the computer use a bit more power around 4w more.. my phone changer is about 6w so it saves about 2w.. so saves a about 30p a year..
  • Fire_Fox wrote: »
    Beg, borrow or steal an Owl energy monitor. You will soon see where the energy is going.

Yes, i was just looking into getting one of those.

Someone on another thread said they may be giving some away free in one of the Newspapers.;)
  • Umski
    Umski Posts: 55 Forumite
    Many USB charger cables only trickle charge anyway so you'd leave your PC on longer to charge ;) As already mentioned, charging a phone is negligible in the grand scheme of things considering you're using 13 units a day. As suggested, get a power meter and see what is actually guzzling the power. If charging stuff is really bothering you then a solar phone charger will work just as well albeit take a bit longer :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure