Can I get sky plus with no phone line?

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me in this matter. I'm moving in with 4 other friends this year (july!), and we want to get sky plus. However we don't want to have to get a phone line aswell as that will incur more costs for a service we won't use. We all have plenty enough minutes on our mobiles plus I use VoIP (skype) and have bought a landline number for that anyway.

The internet we will be getting will be from virgin, the 20mb internet only package. No phone line required. Therefore we don't want to have to pay £X a month or year for a phone line just so sky are happy.

Obviously if this is the only way then we have no choice or may just have to go to freeview :(

If its possible please let me know.

Comments

• billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Yes it is possible to get Sky fitted without a phone line being fitted. They do charge an extra fee for this i believe its about £25.

Just call Sky and ask them for a No Phone Line Install.
  • salduck
    salduck Posts: 1,070
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Alternatively just tell them the phone line is not active yet but will be and when the engineer comes tell him its not activated yet and they will set it all up for you none the wiser and £25 better off!!!!!
    x
    Mortgage free wannabe! No idea on date yet! £132,350 TBC
    Loan paying off May 2022 £7000
  • mattw89
    mattw89 Posts: 92 Forumite
    Thanks for that. I'm on to a chat advisor now on there website. Ruddy technology, well better this then having to do all the holding on phone lines :D

Thanks for the info though :)
  • mattw89
    If the engineer sets it up though, will I not have to pay phone line rental each month?
  • mattw89
    sorry to reply again to myself :P

Just in regards to talking to the advisor.

I live in Sheffield (0114), but I pay like £10 to skype so I can have an (0151) number, as originally from Liverpool so saves the family having to pay more to ring me.

So they ring my 0151 number and calls my PC.

He says this is enough to count as a landline number. :S

I hope hes right although if his english isn't great I hope hes not misunderstanding what I mean...

As you can't exactly connect a sky box to an internet phone number.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    mattw89 wrote: »
    sorry to reply again to myself :P

Just in regards to talking to the advisor.

I live in Sheffield (0114), but I pay like £10 to skype so I can have an (0151) number, as originally from Liverpool so saves the family having to pay more to ring me.

So they ring my 0151 number and calls my PC.

He says this is enough to count as a landline number. :S

I hope hes right although if his english isn't great I hope hes not misunderstanding what I mean...

As you can't exactly connect a sky box to an internet phone number.

The Engineer will be expecting to find a proper working phone socket,so he might decline to fit it.

By the way surely if you had an 0114 number your folks would still pay the same rate to call it as a 0151 one,as the local call rate was abolished yonks ago.:D
  • mattw89
    Haha didn't know the local call rate.

Its also used when I'm abroad though to save them having to ring +34 numbers etc.

And the skype number doesn't count. The guy on chat as I thought had got it wrong. Didn't kick up a fuss about it, agreed to pay the £25, afterall I managed to randomly get a referral from my Mum even though she had no letter about it. Saving me the £99.00 box.

Almost bought the sports mix aswell for 18.00 more a month, then remembered the season is over :D lol, saved me some nice $$$

Thanks for the help guys
  • trish06
    trish06 Posts: 381
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    My son had sky+ fitted a few months back,
    he told the engineer that he was having bt installed in a few weeks time
    sky engeneer said no probs and just left him the wire to conect when he had the phone line installed
    he still has not had the phone line connected yet :beer:
    saving 50p a day

Proud to be dealing with my debts :j

linux user
  • lgb2100
    lgb2100 Posts: 148
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    mattw89 wrote: »
    Haha didn't know the local call rate.

Its also used when I'm abroad though to save them having to ring +34 numbers etc.

And the skype number doesn't count. The guy on chat as I thought had got it wrong. Didn't kick up a fuss about it, agreed to pay the £25, afterall I managed to randomly get a referral from my Mum even though she had no letter about it. Saving me the £99.00 box.

Almost bought the sports mix aswell for 18.00 more a month, then remembered the season is over :D lol, saved me some nice $$$

Thanks for the help guys

I am thinking of having Sky installed - without it being connected to a telephone line.

Is there a link on the Sky Webpage that states that this is possible, and the additional fee of £25 that has been quoted in various forumns
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    lgb2100 wrote: »
    I am thinking of having Sky installed - without it being connected to a telephone line.

Is there a link on the Sky Webpage that states that this is possible, and the additional fee of £25 that has been quoted in various forumns

As long as you don't have multi-room there is no need for a phone line connection. The phone line requirement is for multi-room so they can check each month if the boxes are in the same house.

You can pay the £25 manual activation fee or take the gamble the engineer will activate it without the fee being paid.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure