Tax Credits Helpline, unable to get through!

Anyone else having issues with the Tax Credits Helpline number?

I've tried ringing them about seven times since 1pm this afternoon. Every time it takes me about 2 1/2 minutes to get through the, mostly pointless, automated service only to be told that they cannot take my call at present and to ring again another time :mad:

This has most likely cost me around £1.07p so far and I've got nowhere!

I'm trying to ring them to see what's happening about a change of circumstances I informed them about 5 weeks ago which should have all but eradicated our entitlement yet they are still paying the full amount. So, not being able to get hold of them is started to annoy me somewhat as I have no idea whether they have actioned or are intending on actioning the CofC's :mad:
Halifax Personal Loan £23,000 :think:

Comments

• I think the lines are manic at the moment due to people phoning to renew. Might be worth trying them early or late, instead of the middle of the day. Which number are you using to call them? I have been using an 0345 number which is free of charge from my mobile, much to my surprise and delight.
    Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them ~ Albert Einstein
  • scatz
    scatz Posts: 393 Forumite
    edited 4 May 2012 at 6:23PM
    Yeah, I've been trying the 0345 number too but from a land line which is about 6 odd ppp. I'll look into what my mobile company charge, thanks.

Problem is that I work in the morning as a driver and don't get the opportunity to ring early....typically. Just annoying that they send you through all the automation to tell you that they can't take your call.

I'd rather either be held in a queue or perhaps they should invest in a ring back system like some other large companies do!

EDIT: Yay, T-Mobile also includes 03 numbers within my free calls.
  • They are open weekends too so might be worth trying them early tomorrow if you dont work saturdays. Hope you get it sorted soon.
    Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them ~ Albert Einstein
  • scatz
    scatz Posts: 393 Forumite
    I got through to them on my mobile phone at around 18:30 yesterday. Was on hold for about 25 minutes before getting a human being though!
  • i tried calling at 8am this morning, then every 2 hours sibce, i dont even get put on hold, just a 4 1/2 minute answerphone message then "sorry your call cannot be taken at the moment, please try again later" then im cut off. Very annoying. I would appreciate the option to hold!!! :(
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    HMRC were on strike today
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi folks,

We are trying to gauge whether the phone number for renewing tax credits - 0345 300 3900 - has been experiencing high demand resulting in delays or people just not able to get through.

Please let us know what your experiences this time around (ie JULY 2012) have been like, by posting below.

Also a quick tip - HMRC tells us the quietest time to try is usually in mid-afternoon

Ta

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    on the phone to them now, 20 mins waiting so far
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • 19 minutes from start of call to completing my renewal. Yes I know I left it to the last minute!
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    17 minutes in total, but part of that time was 'Choose option 1 for this, option 2 for that' etc. Relatively short time compared to previous years :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure