PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freehold Manager requesting consent to Sublet

Comments

• anniebea wrote: »
    Having challeneged this demand, freehold managers has now sent me a letter saying I do not need to pay, nothing in lease, and not a requirement of insurance, so thier demand was just a speculative demand with no substance.

So have saved myself £190+ and £127 each time my tenants change.

My advice is to anyone who gets one of these demand is read your lease and challenge these type of demands.
    I too am having major problems with this organisation on the same issue I don't suppose you would be willing to share the text of your letter? You seem to have had a result that the rest of us can only dream about.
    This organisation are a real nasty piece of work and anyone who can get a victory out of them deserves a medal!
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The content of the letter I sent was along the lines of ....

With reference to your letter of 15th March which was received on 19th March in which you request an administration fee for your consent to let the above property, please advise under which clause in the lease you are making this request. There is no clause in the lease which requires us to gain your consent to let the property.

Please respond within 21 days of the date of this letter. If I do not receive a response within that time showing where in my lease I need your consent, I will consider that this matter is closed and no further action is required on my part.

I sent you a seperate message for another forum where you can see we are having some sucess challenging these people.:T
  • anniebea wrote: »
    The content of the letter I sent was along the lines of ....

With reference to your letter of 15th March which was received on 19th March in which you request an administration fee for your consent to let the above property, please advise under which clause in the lease you are making this request. There is no clause in the lease which requires us to gain your consent to let the property.

Please respond within 21 days of the date of this letter. If I do not receive a response within that time showing where in my lease I need your consent, I will consider that this matter is closed and no further action is required on my part.

I sent you a seperate message for another forum where you can see we are having some sucess challenging these people.:T
    Many thanks for this unsure if you have received my response trying to work this website out!! sorry for being a nuisance but did you send your letter to the PO Box 2098 address or do you have another address to send it to? I was wanting to send this recoorded delivery to ensure they received it in case i need that evidence later on. Unsure if you can send anything recorded or special delivery to a PO Box address?
  • CA73
    CA73 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2011 at 6:19PM
    I let my flat out and Freehold Managers Plc are the Freeholders. Last year when I moved out and let the flat I changed my address with them (for Ground Rent billing purposes) and also received the letter re £129 payment request and request for various documents for them to consent to lease out. - I thought I had sent these and payment off and the matter was closed though on checking today the cheque does not appear to have debited my account.

Fast forward to today and I've had a letter advising that I am subletting without their consent (which re above I guess I am!) - No mention of £129 on documents just a request for a copy of the tenancy agreement and payment for the 'licence I wish to obtain'.

The 2 licences noted on their enclosed 'Application to Sublet' form are the following.....

Standard Licence (including notice fee) - £260 - Annual fee

or

Global Licence (including notice fee) - £400 - Licence granted for 5 years

Does anyone have any ideas whether all this sounds right??? I'm off to dig out the lease!

Any assistance appreciated.

Caroline
  • anniebea
    anniebea Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    As stated in my previous post - there was nothing in my lease to say I had to get thier consent. I challlenged it and got a letter from them admitting that my lease does not say anything about getting thier consent so I do not have to pay.

The letter they send out is a standard letter and they admit they send it when the property address and billing address do not match.

Dig out your lease and see what it says - if there is no requirement in the lease, challenge it.
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Check your lease and when its not in there tell them to go away.
  • Having paid Freehold Managers the annual "permission to sublet" fee for several years, I have now received a renewal letter offering me the "Global licence" option plus the information that I have to advise them i.e. pay even more money every time the tenant changes. Don't think I've seen that before. Anyone else come across this refinement?
  • Ulfar
    Ulfar Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    Sorry check your lease, only pay what is in the lease. The lease is a binding legal contract and if the charges aren't in there they can go whistle.
  • Ulfar wrote: »
    Sorry check your lease, only pay what is in the lease. The lease is a binding legal contract and if the charges aren't in there they can go whistle.
    Hi thanks for the info,

I assume when you say check your lease you mean checking what is held on the land registry? Pls clarify as I am new to leasehold.

Cheers
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nverma001 wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the info,

I assume when you say check your lease you mean checking what is held on the land registry? Pls clarify as I am new to leasehold.

Cheers

When you bought the flat, your solicitor will have given you a copy of the lease - that is what you should check.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure