EBICO - EQUIDUAL - how good are they? Please Help

2»

Comments

• icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Be careful with Npower they 'sculpt' their bills, sometimes resulting in you paying more than they say you will.

thread discussing this http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=786683
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • lisap4123
    lisap4123 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Hmmmmmm thanks for the advice. think I will avoid N power then. I was already a bit cautious as the offer involves being a customer for 12 months or you dont get the discount. I thought this seemed a little dodgy - if they put the prices up again and are no longer competitive you are either stuck with them or you leave and loose your discount. hmmmmm
  • joe2cool
    joe2cool Posts: 4,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi with 'atlantic' & thinking of switching to 'ebico' but have read previous threads that they are not the best if you are a high user ? Have you found this true anyone?
    Appreciate any comments
    joe2cool
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    It should show up, Joe, in the comparison tables.
    Ebico are good for low users , like 10,000kwh Gas p.a. or 2000kwh for electric.
    There was a thread about the break even point for Ebico low users.About a month ago.
  • joe2cool
    joe2cool Posts: 4,120 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    cheers will do
    joe2cool
  • lisap4123
    lisap4123 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Would you please let me know the link to that threat when you find it? I am currently with atlantic but thinking of switching to Ebico, use about 25000 units gas and 2470 LEC for last year up to now. But have just had double glazing fitted and am currently on a missing to reduce energy consuption - so hoping it will go down by next year. Any advice welcome !!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    lisap4123 wrote: »
    Would you please let me know the link to that threat when you find it? I am currently with atlantic but thinking of switching to Ebico, use about 25000 units gas and 2470 LEC for last year up to now. But have just had double glazing fitted and am currently on a missing to reduce energy consuption - so hoping it will go down by next year. Any advice welcome !!

That thread is now no good because Ebico raised their prices today.

All you have to do is enter those consumption figures(or what you feel they will be next year) into a comparison website and they will give you the results.
  • icefall
    icefall Posts: 1,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary

Found a very old thread talking about break even point of Ebico. But it is out of date as mentioned above.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=247128&highlight=ebico+break+even
    I always wanted to be a procrastinator, never got round to it...
  • c0113tt3
    c0113tt3 Posts: 313 Forumite

The most usefull link is to ebico themselves, and check the amount gas/elec useage on the calculators.

In general Ebico for the gas, works out one of the cheapest if you are a low user, this could be around 10,000 kwh per year, ie if you were out at work during the week and the heating is not on and you just use your heating for a couple hours a day generally when you are at home, and really did not use hardly any heating at all throughout summer. If you cook with gas and have a boiler with constant hot water all the time then you are likely to be an average user, and if you have a family, have the heating on more, cook with gas and always have constant hot water from a boiler then you are most likely to be mid to heavy user. 20,000 kwh is considered average use per year.

At around 17,500 kwh to 20,000 kwh depending on the company and tarif you are on, is where you may break even with ebico, ie it may not be any cheaper than the company / tariff you are already with.

At around 20,000 kwh plus, the more over this figure you are, the more likely and expensive ebico will become, so if you are a heavy user on the gas, ebico would work out to be expensive. So if you use around 22,000 kwh it may work out to be only slightly more expensive, but if you use 30,000 kwh it would work out to be very expensive.

As for the electricity, you would have to check what the rate is for your area, but you are around just slightly less than an average user, and if the rate is competative for your area it may work out to be cheaper, but if it is not then it may work out to be slightly more expensive..

As for me, I am an average user on the electricity and works out cheaper to be with ebico (around £100 per year than npower for my area as the flat rate with ebico is cheaper than even tier 2 prices with npower, nevermind tier 1) and for the gas as long as I remain a low user around 10,000 to12,000 kwh per year I stand to save around £80 to £100 per year, but the more closer I am to 20,000 kwh the less I save and may just break even with ebico than my current supplier. The figures / savings for myself are with current prices as of 01/04/08.

The link to ebico gas calculator :
    http://www.ebico.co.uk/html/g_rates.php

The link to ebico electricity calculator, select your area first.
    http://www.ebico.co.uk/html/e_rates.php

Hope the information helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family