PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• carolt2
    carolt2 Posts: 854 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'm sorry for your loss Rosieben.

Just logged in to catch up on MSE and update spend for the GC.
    Have spent £41.74 over the last couple of days in Mr T, I'm sure there have been a couple of spends between this update and the last one but unfortunatly more important things got in the way and any spends have not been added to signature:o.

All updated now and if I can recall anything I will amend as necessary
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just had my online shopping delivered at £42.68 so I've updated my total and don't think I'll need anything else before the 1st April as I have loads of milk, juice and my fridge and freezer are full.

I'm nearly £100 under and I've been reducing it by £50 each month since January.

Paying attention to what you buy really does make a difference.

I wouldn't have said we wasted much but we obviously did.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    £16.84 spent today and nothing now to buy at all this month.Just stocked up on fruit and veggies so will have over £11, to put into the holiday fund for this August.I am really pleased with this month and feel quite chuffed that everything is accounted for to the penny.

Will declare £120.00 for April and I expect I will have even more left next month as I am away for a week from the 17th:j:j:jJust patted myself on the back:D.You all seem to be doing very well:A
  • ragz_2
    ragz_2 Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    poppy-glos wrote: »
    . i only have 2 bottles left of the persil non bio liquid so will be looking for that on offer soon, or will have to bite the bullet and pay full price.

best wishes to all and ((hugs)) to those who need them,

poppy x

Co-op are doing the 42 wash bottles of small and mighty for £3.50 but not sure when that ends.
    June Grocery Challenge £493.33/£500 July £/£500
    2 adults, 3 teens
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
  • NJW69 - Gosh, you have done incredibly well the last 3 months but particularly this month!! Can you give us any tips on how you have manaaged to reduce your spending so much?

Rosieben - forgot to say earler - sorry to hear your sad news. Hope you are bearing up.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Rosieben So sorry to read about your Mum. My thoughts are with you all xxx
  • I'm going to have to bow out of the GC this month. My spending has just gone through the roof due to having to take my guinea pig to the vets 4 times last week so I had to borrow money out of GC money and my parents to pay for all the treatment and she unfortunately had to be put to sleep. I've no idea where I stand now and next months going to be a real struggle as we have had to put stuff on the credit card that we couldn't afford to pay which will have to be paid off next month. My pay is also going to be down next month by 3.5 days as I have used more that my annual sickness allowance which works out about £190 :( so what with that and owing £130 on the CC that has to come off next months pay we're already £320 down

Don't know how I'm going to get through next month. Still have my OH's mams birthday this month as well, and I didn't get anything for my mam for mothers day because of all the stress and lack of money which I just feel awful about.

Sorry about your guinea pig, losingpatience, our pets are part of the family arent they (certainly in our house anyway) and its awful when anything happens to them.

You wil get through next month, we have all been there, stick with GC and MSE if you can, and im sure all the tips and support will get you through it ok.

Why not offer yourself as a gift to MIL for her birthday, i.e. offer to do a few jobs that she may need completing that you are able to, offer to do her shopping to save her the trip etc. She may appreciate that more than a box of choccies or a bottle of wine.

Hope you are feeling ok
  • elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    edited 23 March 2010 at 11:37PM
    What is wrong with our car:mad: It's been in the garage 4 times now since the new year and the bills are now over £1700!! It's driving us round the bend literally and there soon won't be much to budget with if we carry on at this rate:(

Sorry about the rant but glad to get that off my chest. On the upside I have had a NSD out of my grocery budget and I'm planning another for tomorrow as I really need to tighten the belt now. We had plain and simple Minced Beef with Veggies and Mash tonight and I managed to stretch it to 4 more extra portions. I also managed to completely defrost the kitchen fridge/freezer this morning, so hopefully with all the ice gone it should be a little more economical to run. There was a bit more in the freezer drawers than I realised so I think it's time for some creative cookery.

Hope everyone is well and doing ok with their budgets:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • vodkawitch1
    vodkawitch1 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    I think I will be over by about £40 this month - but it is a five week month and my first month of doing the grocery challenge so hopefully I will do better in April.
    Make £2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • Mrs Mc can you please put me down for £369.24
    Thank you very much to you, Pink-winged and Rosieben (sorry to hear about your Mum), This is a great thread.

Well I'm slightly over my £350 budget, but not bad considering I'd spent most of my budget in my first week :D !! Thanks to Earthmother for her tips I've managed to stretch it out. Roll on Friday when I get paid as the cupboards are bare (just typed bear-lol must be bedtime!). Will have to up my budget next month as it's a 5 week month and quite frankly there is nothing in the cupboards or freezers-oh apart from a couple of chickens, I have sinned! I usually buy free range chickies which cost about £7 -£8 we do stretch them out.... was in the co-op the other day and they had their veggie fed barn chickens on offer and they were £2.60 each-quite big as well, so after a lot of deliberation, soul searching and guilty feelings I bought them saving a fortune in the process :o. It's a 5 week month next month so will have to be thrifty.
    LBM 17th April 2007:j
    Credit Cards paid - July 2008 [strike]Sainsys,M&S,[/strike][strike] HSBC[/strike]
    Grocery Challenge £350
    DEBT FREE AND STILL TRYING HARD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family