Great 'disguised Own Brand' Hunt.

Comments

• The posy about white good manufacturers is very true. As working in a secondhand shop I have had experience of this. The reason is very simple for the big companies. If they are selling one make at very cheap and cheerful prices another at the mid range market and another at the high end of the market (all be them the same or very similar underneath). They effectively capture a share in all of the markets. There will always be people who buy the cheapest, or have more money than sense and want the most expensive, or your average joe who want the middle of the road. Wotever the decision they are quids in and laughing :)

On a general point of the discussion we did a case study at uni which goes as follows. A company will aim to produce a certain of of product (a tin of baked beans). This target is the amount of product that will provide them with a break even point and all of their costs and over heads have been covered. Therefore anything in excess of this is seen as profit. so instead of producing cans for M & S at 10p a tin they can afford to make more and sell at 7p a tin. otherwise once the M & S order had been fulfilled the line would be idle and no income produced. This is why/how companies can afford to do cheap own brand goods. They usually subsitute the ingredients with slightly cheaper goods but these are usually negliable. Obviously this can cause problems when the main brands realise competitors are getting cheaper goods but hey, that live and the risk the company take. It was once said by Mr Heinz (or one of his crones) that they could not tin water for less than 10p a can........how much are tesco beans 7p????
  • I once worked for Wilkinson Sword at their Cramlington, Northumberland factory. They made Boots own brand razor blades, using thinner steel made in Sweden. Quality control was the same. This was ages ago, though.
  • I wanted to buy a digital Camera in the sales after christmas, a samsung digimax, as friends of mine bought 1 last year which was easy to use, i just wanted to get the next model up. I found the model No. i needed from the samsung website and checked before the sales started, for the best price. Everybody had it for roughly the same price, so i waited for the sales to begin.
    It didn't get reduced anywhere except that an advert from PCWorld had reduced a very similar looking Camera by £40, but it had a different model Number.
    I returned to the samsung website and downloaded the Manual for the camera that i wanted to buy, and on the fornt page it listed 3 different Model Numbers for the Same Camera ! the only difference i could find was a bit of blue plastic on the camera body instead of silver !

My tip is : if you know the item you want, Brand & Model, get the manual off the manufacturers website before buying, and check to see if the camera is also known as another model.
  • blinky
    blinky Posts: 1,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's not uncommon for manufacturers to make a slightly modified version of a product and tie up an exclusivity deal with a chain store in a country. That way the shop can say "exclusive to us"
    Hug provider for depression thread :grouphug:
    "I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell.." - Unwell by Matchbox Twenty
  • Al_Inshearah
    Al_Inshearah Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    I once worked for Wilkinson Sword at their Cramlington, Northumberland factory. They made Boots own brand razor blades, using thinner steel made in Sweden. Quality control was the same. This was ages ago, though.

You don't know Graham Cooke do you?
  • Al_Inshearah
    Al_Inshearah Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    I once worked for Wilkinson Sword at their Cramlington, Northumberland factory. They made Boots own brand razor blades, using thinner steel made in Sweden. Quality control was the same. This was ages ago, though.

Oh yeah, welcome to the site
  • Cadbury make the chocolates for Marks and Spencers and Thorntons and they are the same chocolate selection as in their own cadbury select boxes. Found this out at christmas when all the boxes had the same chocolates
  • I worked for Thorntons for 5 years and Cadburys for 2 years. Cadbury do not make chocolates for Thorntons. However, Thorntons make some types of chocolates for Marks and Spencers.
  • Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    I was just going to say that, my wife used to work for Thorntons and I'm pretty certain Cadburys don't make stuff for them. As for electrical goods being rebranded, I once opened up a Hitachi 28" widescreen telly to find that the tube and all the major components were Phillips. I was particularly surprised by that as I was under the impression that Hitachi were one of the few companies who actually have a CRT plant....:confused:

Rich :¬)
  • You don't know Graham Cooke do you?

I'm sorry, I don't. The job at Wilkinson Sword was temporary, but it helped me to repay my overdraft, just when the bank was threatening court action. I no longer live in Newcastle, as I moved back to Yorkshire. Thanks for the welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure