Readers Digest Prize Draw is it a con?

Comments

• Aye, and you can make some extra cash from RD by submitting silly wee anecdotes and jokes. ;-)
  • My mum recieved a readers digest letter through the post today claiming she could win £250,000, so I decided to check it out. I searched on google maps the address given on the back of the letter for registered office this is what I found:

http://
    www.
    zshare.net
    /image/
    620426067f8f2351/

I looked up the postcode in google maps given to write to and it came up with no business listed just a building.

http://
    www.
    zshare.
    net/image/
    620443178b84513d/

As mentioned above it is suspicous that the only place the winners are mentioned is on the readers digest website, no mention at all anywhere else. You would have thought that some-one winning so much money would have made it into the local papers at least!
  • Short-n-Sweet
    Short-n-Sweet Posts: 7,129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    My mum/dad get letters WEEKLY at the moment it seems.

Its actually starting to annoy the hell out of everyone lol.
    Ask.. Believe.. Receive..

Every Accomplishment Starts With The Decision To Try
  • I got one of these. I sent off the yes envelope but i don't want to keep the book, think i was blinkered by the cash/car prizes momentarily lol. Does anyone know just how easy is it to send it back? I sort of doubt it is as easy as they say it is...
  • LuckySeven_2
    LuckySeven_2 Posts: 477 Forumite
    I'm slightly confused because the way the letter reads, it gives the impression that you MUST subscribe to the RD before you can enter the competition. How have you all managed to enter the competition and not part with a penny? I also thought that replying in the NO envelope meant you didn't want to enter the comp.
    Thank you so much to everyone who post & help with comps! :j
  • Helen_T
    Helen_T Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Many years ago, my mum took on a job from home which involved collecting crates and crates of replies from readers digest prize draws. Her job was to sort them into yes and nos, sift out any letters, cheques that kind of thing. As far as I know they were all put in the draw but there were thousands and thousands of these things!
    Thanks to all posters!
  • Matryoshka
    Matryoshka Posts: 10,408 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always send them back - in the NO envelope :lol:
    SECRET TO WINNING PRIZES ;):
    If you see it in your mind, you're going to hold it in your hand.
    Thoughts become things!
    What you think about you bring about!
    No one is ready for a thing until he believes he can acquire it.
    Romans 12:15 Be happy with those who are happy :)
  • bunn
    bunn Posts: 4,191 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i always send them back in the no envelope, but my fella got a letter asking to phone the free phone number, and register the ref number, (i did it i got called mrs kilgallon!!!! lol! we aint married,) which i thought was a little diffrent then sending it off!

if its a con, there is no harm done !! as its only the price of a stamp(royal mail freebies) on the no envelopes anyway!!!
  • Swan_2
    Swan_2 Posts: 7,060 Forumite
    I bought the odd book from them years ago, never subscribed to the mag though, but always sent the NO envelopes back

eventually I won £100, not a huge win but :T all the same
    tbh I couldn't believe it myself & it wasn't till the cheque had cleared & the money was in the bank that I was convinced it was real

so yes it's a marketing ploy, but it doesn't cost anything to send the envelopes back & be in with a chance, even a small win's better than none :)
  • But does anyone know how easy it is to return the book they send after you reply with the 'yes' envelope? In the paperwork they were all like 'you can just sent it back to us if you don't want it' as it is supposed to be a trial or something but it must be harder than that i asume? Worried i am going to have to pay loads to return it gah i am so gulible sometimes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure