Reputable lenders for poor credit history - not brokers?

emma81_2
emma81_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
edited 11 December 2011 at 3:57PM in Loans
Hi there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

I have just been [TEXT DELETED BY FORUM TEAM] by best4loans after paying a "brokerage fee" of £49.80, being told my loan was agreed and would be in the bank in 3-5 days time, then told actually it was declined. That is a different story though, one which i will keep fighting til i get my brokerage fee back.

What I would like to know is if anyone knows of any reputable lender's, not brokers or websites claiming they will seach hundreds of lenders on your behalf, but the actual lenders themselves who i can approach directly with poor credit but with proof of income and ask for a loan?

Everytime i try and google it every link i click on just takes me to another site who are a broker promising they will find the right deal for people like "me" but i don't want to contact loads of brokers and make my credit file even worse with lots of checks and searches on it, i just want to know if anyone who does have particularly bad credit can recommend a lender who was able to help.

My circumstances are that i am working full time, i am on the electoral roll, i have proof of income which is approx £13,000 p/yr - i am a tenant and want to borrow £2000 towards a new car. I don't want somewhere i have to buy the car from them to get the finance, i have already saved £2000 myself and just want a loan to give me the other half the money.

Sorry for the essay, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks
Emma

Comments

• Rafter
    Rafter Posts: 3,850 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Emma,

Try the loan search on moneysupermarket.com - that might give you some leads.

However, your best bet might be to buy a £2000 car if you aren't prepared to get a loan from a car dealership.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • sdooley
    sdooley Posts: 918 Forumite
    Your best bet would seem to be a credit union. With them you have to save up weekly and after a while you are allowed to borrow up to 3 times your savings. The interest rates are limited and, while not guaranteed, they grant credit at reasonable rates (say 14% p.a.) to people in worse circumstances than you.

You've managed to save £2,000 on a low income, they are looking for people like you. You need to find one in your local area / covering your job type. There is a directory of them here http://www.abcul.org/page/members.cfm
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Honestly, you can buy a perfectly decent reliable car for £2000 these days.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure