PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Possibility of hidden CCTV in shared house

Comments

• stuckdebt wrote: »
    What do I do if the landlord/manager comes up to me and confronts me about what I did? Do I deny it? Ask to see how they came to that conclusion?

Well, if they've got CCTV of you doing what they suspect you of doing, they've also got CCTV of the manager doing what you suspect him of doing?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It seems, you stole his food in retaliation and now you are concerned you have been caught on CCTV?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    stuckdebt wrote: »

The conversation went pretty much like this:

"I am going to look through the CCTV to find out what has been going on in this house. Come over on monday, so we can catch them on tape." ....

You can always Google 'how to find hidden CCTV' or something like that. There are some helpful hints on this link - http://www.cctvforum.com/post-106788.html - on the kind of devices available. There appears to be a whole industry dedicated to this sort of thing.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 1 April 2012 at 7:55AM
    If there are hidden cameras, then I expect I shall get into trouble over a stupid thing I did last week to get my own back on said manager,
    What did you do?
    "I am going to look through the CCTV to find out what has been going on in this house. Come over on monday, so we can catch them on tape."
    Who's "them"?. Have you talked to the other residents about this?. Is the manager a paranoid tit?
  • Lance
    Lance Posts: 559 Forumite
    If the manager knew you were listening when he mentioned the secret CCTV then it is probably to scare you and not true. As for film of you taking food from the fridge if they had it they would have confronted you by now.
  • MoneySaverLog
    MoneySaverLog Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    If it were not for the time of the OP 11.32pm 31/03/2012 I would have said this has got to be an April fool :-)
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    stuckdebt wrote: »
    To be honest, I dont know if i should believe it or not.. maybe they said it to scare people (The manager knew i was in the hall), or maybe there actually is CCTV..

The one thing I know is, I want to get out of this place at once. The last couple of years living here have made my life a nightmare. I have been bullied by the manager quite a bit the last few months, and its getting to me.. its just finding the money to move that is the problem.

What do I do if the landlord/manager comes up to me and confronts me about what I did? Do I deny it? Ask to see how they came to that conclusion?

Did you do what I think you did? If you did then you could be in a lot of trouble.
  • BigAunty
    BigAunty Posts: 8,310
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Maybe it's a fib to wind you up...
  • stuckdebt
    stuckdebt Posts: 96 Forumite
    Did you do what I think you did? If you did then you could be in a lot of trouble.

I dont know what you think I did, But I took some of his food.

I also have just heard him talking to someone in the house about it, no one knows i am up yet though..

Btw this is not april fools, not on my part anyway.. and if it, then theyre the fool as this started yesterday.
    Total debt Aug 2012: £3800, Nov: £3225, Dec: £3151.45 2013: Jan: £1544.24 :j Feb: £1492.03 :( Sept 2013: Debt free :D
  • propertyman
    propertyman Posts: 2,922 Forumite
    http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/cctv.aspx

This site will give you advice on their obligations and how to get advice and complain.
    Stop! Think. Read the small print. Trust nothing and assume that it is your responsibility. That way it rarely goes wrong.
    Actively hunting down the person who invented the imaginary tenure, "share freehold";
    if you can show me one I will produce my daughter's unicorn
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport