Cheap International Text Messaging/SMS

Comments

• Try the mobileworld simm fro the carphone warehouse.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    oxymore wrote:
    ok, it seems that on vyke, there is no download program? i mean, you register, go to download, and click on download to mobile phone, and it just brings you back to the mobile faq page!! where is the java program?
    As it says on the page ...
    To download Vyke Mobile, please go to the Vyke Mobile download page (requires that you are logged in). Once you have entered your phone number and pressed send, a message will be sent to your phone containing a link to the automatic download page. This link will automatically start the download and install process.
  • jatt
    jatt Posts: 77 Forumite
    hi

You can try https://www.smscountry.com it charegs around 1-2p from your computer but u can use it from your mobile if you have full internet access.

Thanks
    Jatt
  • redux wrote:
    As it says on the page ...

Once you have signed in and click on download to mobile it takes you to an instruction page.

There is nowhere to enter your mobile number to receive message etc.

However, from what it says on thhe same page you may need to purchase credit and receive PIN before you can download program to mobile???
  • oxymore
    oxymore Posts: 107 Forumite
    Hmm shame there isn't an easier one that you can just cable download the java program onto your phone (as i don't have internet access), that actually works.. the smsbug doesn't work and i'm not too keen getting credit in order to download the program like vyke if it doesn't work :( are there any other similar to smsbug? thanks for all your suggestions :)
  • oxymore
    oxymore Posts: 107 Forumite
    any more suggestions on this? hehe
    there's gotta be a way! :D
    x
  • peterbaker
    peterbaker Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    oxymore wrote: »
    Does anyone know any reliable ways to send cheap internation text messages from your phone or somehow use it out of your contract? There seem lots of bypasses with phoning abroad but nothing about texting? I'm on a contract with three and they charge 25p per international text message!

Thanks.. x
    Hi there! I have been experimenting with various Java applications too, for the same reasons as you (I want very cheap texts from UK to abroad). I am lucky, I can use smsbug and Vyke. However, I can only give Vyke 5/10 at the moment because I set up an account for my son to use also, and within hours the account was locked. It has been "suspended for security reasons" for 5 days now with the £10 credit wholly inaccessible and unusable. Vyke have not responded to my three emails via their website.

But back to your problem with 3.

I read somewhere that of all the UK mobile networks, 3 actually will not allow Java applications the necessary HTTP connection access for the applications to work. Yes you can download them (via bog standard WAP I believe) but NO you can't use them with Java. However I think if you can persevere with smsbug and get a password, you might be able to skip the Java application and log on to your smsbug account and send SMS from there on 3 via https://www.smsbug.com/wap . I am not sure yet how much it costs in data download charges typically to do that.

The fact that 3 don't provide the means for any Java App to access the Web like other UK networks is obviously anti-competitive behaviour, but I doubt anyone at Ofcom or OFT is up to speed sufficiently to have a clue what I am talking about.

At the moment, of all that are on offer, I do like smsbug the best as it keeps a log of all your texts, you can move credits between users, the web and WAP interfaces are neat and well thought out, and the Customer Service (albeit provided via South Africa) is very good.
  • Iffy_Wallet
    Iffy_Wallet Posts: 266 Forumite
    oxymore - do you have to send the text from your mobile, or would you be happy to send it from a PC?
    [ Eat, Drink and be Merry - for tomorrow we get the bill ]
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I am also looking for a paid-for 100% reliable method of sending texts from a web browser, now that Yahoo is ending their excellent service. Ideally like Yahoo it should be possible to specify your own mobile as the return sms address.
  • leeus1
    leeus1 Posts: 37 Forumite
    If you're with O2 in Ireland, even pay as you go, you get 500 free texts a month which you can send from a web browser, to anywhere in the world. The texts even show up to the recipient as coming from your mobile number.

Pity O2 UK don't offer the same over here!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure