Please help me get rid of cold callers(i need a sticker) :(

Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Today when they called my DH asked them if they would kindly make a note of our address and ask their sales people to stop calling here. The guy said this is not possible as they are all self employed and don't keep lists of whos called where!

I am 6 months pregnant and am really sick of this, everytime i see these teams of men appear on our cul-de-sac my heart starts racing and i get really wound up.

Please can anyone tell me where i can get one of those "no cold callers" stickers?

We also have a similar problem with phone calls for mortgages, which we have learned now always show up on the caller display as "INTERNATIONAL". We simply pick up the phone and then hang it straight back up again.

Apparantley BT and TPS can't stop these calls.

Thanks for listening to my moan.

Comments

• Just print it out on your PC or write it on a piece of paper and stick to the front gate/front door - It's not very MS to buy a sticker!

Just remember, it's your house, you are in charge. Simply do not answer the door or if you do open it, shut it again. Be rude back to them - you didn't ask them to call.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Your local Trading Standards should have the stickers, as well as the council and possibly the Police :)

Failing that, print your own :)
  • donna wrote: »
    Hi,

for the 3rd time in the last month we have just had the EYG double glazing firm around. Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Today when they called my DH asked them if they would kindly make a note of our address and ask their sales people to stop calling here. The guy said this is not possible as they are all self employed and don't keep lists of whos called where!

I am 6 months pregnant and am really sick of this, everytime i see these teams of men appear on our cul-de-sac my heart starts racing and i get really wound up.

Please can anyone tell me where i can get one of those "no cold callers" stickers?

We also have a similar problem with phone calls for mortgages, which we have learned now always show up on the caller display as "INTERNATIONAL". We simply pick up the phone and then hang it straight back up again.

Apparantley BT and TPS can't stop these calls.

Thanks for listening to my moan.

I always find the slamming the door in their face works quite well!:D

with regards the ones who phone just say "hang on a minute I'll just go and get my husband" and then leave them on the other end of the phone for ten minutes, when you pick it back up if they are still there say "thanks for holding he'll be with you shortly" and keep doing that - it sometimes put certain companies off, but even if it doesn't it feels nice to play them at their own game.

No cold calling stickers - don't know where people get these but failing all else make you're own up print it off and stick it on the door - you could also do a specific one directed at EYG:

EYG: DON'T EVEN THINK OF KNOCKING ON MY DOOR - I'M NOT INTERESTED - AND EVEN IF I WAS - AFTER THE AMOUNT OF TIMES YOU HAVE HARASSED ME YOU WOULD BE THE LAST COMPANY I WOULD EVER BUY DOUBLE GLAZING FROM!

hth :D
    :hello: :eek: It's official I'm addicted to Boots - the total on my Advantage Card has gone over £300 :eek: :hello:
  • ShockingPink
    ShockingPink Posts: 1,228 Forumite
    This won't be much use to you, but my Mum got given one at her pensioners' club! I think they give them away at Trading Standards offices, too. My mum's says "Doorstep Sellers Beware! You are not welcome here!" and on the back is the freephone number for Crimestoppers and the number for Trading Standards.

Several areas have set up "no cold calling zones", and free stickers are given out - I don't know where you live, but it might be worth asking your local council.
    C'est le ton qui fait la chanson
  • hiya. i got a load from the police when i rang them up complaining.... i have one left if you would like it.
    does my bum look big in this sig?
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Tell them you don't own it.

Living in a council house gets rid of glazing salesmen quickly ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • stugib
    stugib Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    donna wrote: »
    Every time they come we tell them we won't be in a position to buy DG for at least the nex couple of years.

Probably won't make much of a difference but also stop explaining yourself to them. Your position is none of their business.

To a salesman 'won't be in a position to buy for 2 years' probably enters his brain as 'right, they are interested, I'd better go back because their situation might have changed sooner than expected or I can convince them to take out our 29.9% finance package'.

Just tell 'em your not interested, never will be, and never buy from cold-callers. Then follow completboxset's advice :D
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria Posts: 345 Forumite
    I just answer the door and state "I don't buy on the doorstep" and close it again.
    Make £5 per day in August= £100/£155
    Paid MS- £5+ £10 GR, £5 RE, £15 MS
    £65 ebay profit
    Waiting on payment- E160 BAI
    :j
  • Alexandria
    Alexandria Posts: 345 Forumite
    Oh and just realised you said that you're pregnant, if you intend on breastfeeding I have always found that a great way to get rid of them...answer the door with a baby attached hehe.
    Make £5 per day in August= £100/£155
    Paid MS- £5+ £10 GR, £5 RE, £15 MS
    £65 ebay profit
    Waiting on payment- E160 BAI
    :j
  • advent1122
    advent1122 Posts: 1,403 Forumite
    Just answer the door and say "I am not in".
    Works every time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport