How to make a window seat cushion?

I'm doing up my bedroom and want to make a nice old-style feather-stuffed (not foam, if I can help it) window seat cushion. The only trouble is I don't really know where to start! I'm a fairly crafty person but sewing is not my forte. I guess I need to know, do I just buy a load of feathers off ebay?!! I like the cushions (box cushions?) with the 'piping' round the edge. It's quite a large trapezoid window seat so I don't know if I need to make two separate cushions. In fact I know nothing at all - help! :rotfl:

PS if this is a major sewing project and not one to be attempted by an amateur please tell me and I'll find a pro to do it instead... just trying to save money.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    no one? :(
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    A rectangular cushion wouldn't be hugely difficult but piping can be a bit fiddly and takes a little bit of practice to get on nicely. If you had a bit of experience you could pretty much make your own pattern up to fit, but if you have no experience of sewing you'd probably be better getting a book and following the instructions carefully - as long as you take it slowly and steadily and don't cut corners when you don't know what you're doing you'd probably be fine.

Sewing and soft furnishing books are the kind of things that are very often available in charity shops, fetes and second-hand shops so it wouldn't cost much, but I think a book is better for a beginner than a webpage because it will have extra sections explaining terminology and techniques and just give you more depth of information.

As far as the feathers go... Foam would be far, far easier for this sort of thing, because it will hold the square shape of the cushion, whereas feathers will be much floppier and saggier, so you would need to put quite a bit of stiffening into the structure of the cushion cover and probably make an under-cushion with some sort of quilting or something to hold the feathers into the right shape. If you are completely set on feathers then I would recommend starting by searching for a premade cushion inner of the right size and shape - somewhere like dunelm have quite a range. Or perhaps you could get the single piece of foam as the base and create some kind of quilted undercushion cover with the feathers that the foam would slot into to give the outside the slightly softer feathery look. Then make a cushion to go round the whole lot?
  • dander
    dander Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just had another thought, you could always get a base of foam cut to fit, then buy a feather duvet and use that to make a cover to fit the foam. Then make the cover to fit round the whole lot.
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    It might be more difficult as it's not a straightforward rectangle.
    And I think dander's suggestion of foam and feathers combined sounds good. A lot of fabric shops and markets will be able to cut the foam to size - I doubt they would have what you want as standard.
    Have a look at your local library too, might be able to get a book or even dvd for instructions. Both Laura Ashley & Readers Digest had good 'how to make home furnishings......' books but may be out of print now.
  • sarahs999
    THank you. Dander, you're a genius. You don' want a commission, do you? lol
  • sarahs999
    Just in case anyone looks this up in the future I thought I'd finish the thread off - as it was to be a focal feature of my room I decided to get one professionally made, by the feather company in Edinburgh, who were delightful and quick (and cheaper than I thought they'd be). The cushion is fab. http://www.thefeathercompany.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure