We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to Build a Log Store?

2»

Comments

• Try

firewood storage plans

into Google.

This will get you American DIY projects, which seem to offer the greatest variety of options!
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    I'm with you on this one ;)

Mine have been stacked in the garden (on an old gravel hardstanding) and covered with a green garden table cover and it's an eyesore! Drives me mad every time I see it, which is a dozen or more times a day.

Mine needs to be fairly "rustic" or at least not look out of place in a rural setting with a backdrop of ancient woodland and fields!

Let's Google and see what we can find, eh?

krungthep56 posted the same question on the utilities forum
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1378521

I think the one I built qualifies as rustic! :)

logstore.jpg
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    my wood shed is 8ftX6ftx8ft normally full at the start of the season, by the end of the season its emtpy, i use any kind of wood, from trees to pallets any thing i can find
    i have oil central heating as well ,so the wood fire is just supplementing the oil boiler.
    so u will need a big wood shed
  • Thanks to all for interest and while pondering a longer term solution and after having taken a delivery of a load of mixed hardwood logs last week, I decided to stack them on two pallets in two rows with an airgap between, and with another another pallet stacked vertically and braced at each end for support; not perfect aesthetically for a long-term solution, but good as a temporary measure and following today's sprinkling of snow I have also thrown a a tarpaulin over them for protection - overall it looks quite presentable.

If I do eventually store them close to the garage wall (most likely), then I'll keep the pallets for base and side walls and use trimmed fence panels as a sloping roof as we have some spare close-boarded panels from an earlier fencing job.

To answer an earlier query we plan to use the stove on a daily basis for up to 4-5 hours/day with perhaps twice that at weekends ie say 30-35 hours/week.

As an aside I experimented with netted bags of logs from our local Focus several weeks ago and must say what a disaster they were! All softwood, all very resinous and all very wet: they spat and crackled when and if they would light and went mouldy in double quick time; fortunately we found a local farmer who has a supply of what seem to be good quality seasoned logs and I expect we'll be back for more when this load runs out.

Regds,

KT56
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    If you're buying in the cut and split wood I would suggest contemplating something like rhiwfield has built but it might be worth seeing how quickly you go through the wood you've bought. It should then give you and idea of how much you want to store, how much you want to buy at one time etc. You'll also find out how far across the garden you're happy to walk in the cold/wet to get to the wood too:D

I hope to be felling my own wood in a few years (once I've got the coppice planted!) hence my questions, I'll need to store for two years before I can use most of the wood and my cooker runs 24/7 in winter.

Good luck with the wood store
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • SD-253
    SD-253 Posts: 314 Forumite
    You can make a wood store from pallets. Pallets are generally nailed together with nails which are not designed to be removed BUT if you have a pallet with 3 beams/stretchers going across it and then the platform is nailed to them. You can actually get a reasonable length of wood of without splitting it. What you do is cut with chainsaw or circular saw at both ends leaving the wood attached only by middle cross beam, then pull at one end untill it starts to come loose then go to other end and do the same do this once more this way you are not likely to split the wood all you have to do then is hammer the nails out. Now you will only have to buy the main timbers that the planks nailed to. Use other pallets for the base I find this necessary even when the wood is on sloping concrete. Treating the pallet planks is also a good idea I just use fence wood preserver easy and quick to apply. JB
  • ixwood
    ixwood Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    What about a cheap gazebo?
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hopefully he should have built it by now...
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure