Clydesdale Bank - overseas charges....

Options
Hi
I've just returned from a trip to Ireland where I used my Clydesdale Bank debit card to withdraw money from an ATM. On a withdrawal of £230 I have been charged more than £8 in fees!! This equates to 3.75%. Is this legal???? I was with First Direct up until recently and was never charged more than 1.75% for using my card abroad. This seems outrageous. I thought bank charges were supposed to be 'reasonable'?? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Is there anything I can do to reclaim these charges?

thanks
!:mad:

Comments

• starrymong
    Options
    hiya i live in germany and over the past 3 and a half years of being here i have paid around £1900 charges (that was at last count done in feb) i am in the process of trying to claim them back.i am with an independant firm who is also claiming back my overdraft charges and interest paid on our loans and car finance. worth looking into as it all adds up!!!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just returned from a trip to Ireland where I used my Clydesdale Bank debit card to withdraw money from an ATM. On a withdrawal of £230 I have been charged more than £8 in fees!! This equates to 3.75%. Is this legal????
    Perfectly "legal". They're 'fees' not 'charges'. You availed of the service, and paid the fee as notified in your account T&C's. I'm with Yorkshire Bank (same group), and the fee was increased from 3.50% on 3rd March this year (at the same time the purchase transaction fee saw an even bigger increase, from 2.0% to 2.75%).
    This seems outrageous.
    I agree. That's why I use a Nationwide debit card for foreign ATM withdrawals.
    I thought bank charges were supposed to be 'reasonable'??
    As above, they're not bank charges (as in possibly reclaimable)...they're fees for a service.
    Is there anything I can do to reclaim these charges?
    No, I'm afraid not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport