Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Comments

• Thank you very much Mr Lewis, once again you have come through with the goods.:j
    I have changed mortgage with 3 companies, and one of them has just come up with a refund cheque for £150:beer:
    This was Birmingham Midshires. I didnt have the account no - i just gave them our contact details and along with your template letter and sent an email to their customer service dept, the very next morning they called us, verified information and 2 days later we have the cheque in our hand.
    Once again Martin thanks v much x:T
  • Had success with claiming back £295 plus interest relating to exiting my Alliance & Leicester mortgage 7 years ago. I sent a letter last week and received a cheque for the full amount today - on my birthday!!! Very happy - thanks MSE for highlighting this.:j
  • JK79
    JK79 Posts: 1 Newbie
    I followed your advice to the letter and have just received £183 back from C&G for a mortgage that I took out in early 2004! There were no quibbles and the phone call barely lasted a few minutes....so pleased MSE highlighted this, thank you!!
  • I too have just received a cheque for my Mortgage Exit Fee.
    I first phoned and got the run around, 5 different people plus the same person twice. Outside the electronic record keeping rules to provide information I was finally told.

I didn't give up, I used one of Martins templates requesting the difference in the fee charged to me in 2006 and the fee quoted when I took the mortgage out as per the fee table. I also asked for the interest using the calculation in the template.

I have received the whole fee, not just the difference, plus the interest, a total of £468.13 (so a little credit to Santander I suppose).
    So pleased you can't imagine, thank you credit expert. :T
  • Thanks to everyone for motivating me to do this. I phoned A&L today to be told this all has to be done by letter - no email address available for it either.

I've done the letter but I'm really struggling as I can't find the original MEAF quoted. I took the mortgage out in 2003 on a 2-year fix and then went onto another 2-year fix in 2005. I've got all the original paperwork and booklets but can't find an actual figure set out for the fee. We paid £295 when we left in 2008 and I questioned it at the time as I'd never heard of anything that high and was told that was the fee (I actually remember the conversation clearly as the woman was so 'you've no choice, that's what it costs').

So, my question is, can I just leave that bit off the letter where I should say what the original quoted fee was as I just know it must have been lower than £295?

Thanks!
  • Just had confirmation from Yorkshire Building Society that they are going to refund me £125.00, dating back to 2005, they wouldn't apply any interest but am happy with that. Waiting on news from 2 others with C&G so fingers crossed. Only took a phone call
  • Thanks for reading.

Sold my house (with great sadness:() in June 2006 and moved into the rental sector.

Can't find all the paperwork (probably cuz I've moved house twice and had corresponding "clearouts" as each new abode seems to get smaller than the last one).

I have no idea whether or not I was charged an "Exit Fee".

Can I request/demand full details of my account dealings with the bank (NatWest as was), via a simple letter - or should I (can I) send them a SAR either with or without the £10 statutory fee?

Any advice appreciated.:)
    Wendell: "It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?"
    Ed Tom Bell: "If it ain't, it'll do 'til a mess gets here."
    (From "No Country for Old Men")
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I request/demand full details of my account dealings with the bank (NatWest as was), via a simple letter - or should I (can I) send them a SAR either with or without the £10 statutory fee?

You have to remember that the bank only has to refund any difference, if any, between what was agreed at the start of your mortgage or the last deal you bought and what you actually paid.

So, if you are going to have to start spending £10 to find out the information then you really have to think spending £10 to end up with zero to £150 (typical range) is worth it. If you didnt hold the mortgage very long, then chances are you paid what you should have. Especially as 2006 was after the time that many lenders had reverted to charging the contract amount. If you held the mortgage for a long time (without buying new deals in between) then there is a good chance you could get something.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • dunstonh wrote: »
    You have to remember that the bank only has to refund any difference, if any, between what was agreed at the start of your mortgage or the last deal you bought and what you actually paid.

So, if you are going to have to start spending £10 to find out the information then you really have to think spending £10 to end up with zero to £150 (typical range) is worth it. If you didnt hold the mortgage very long, then chances are you paid what you should have. Especially as 2006 was after the time that many lenders had reverted to charging the contract amount. If you held the mortgage for a long time (without buying new deals in between) then there is a good chance you could get something.

I'm just saying that I don't have a copy of my contract.

How should I get a copy of my contract and details of what (if anything) I paid?

If the worst case scenario were that I invested £10 in order to realise £150 then most would consider that a good result.

I am ignorant with regard to this (I only came across "Exit Charges" by accident, today.

Sorry to be such a nuisance with my ignorant/impertinent query.:(
    Wendell: "It's a mess, ain't it, sheriff?"
    Ed Tom Bell: "If it ain't, it'll do 'til a mess gets here."
    (From "No Country for Old Men")
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If the worst case scenario were that I invested £10 in order to realise £150 then most would consider that a good result.

The worst case is that you get zero and waste £10.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure