JSA stopping after 6 months as married

Options
2»

Comments

• BillytheFish_2
    Options
    Actually, not so silly comment!

I live with my girlfriend. We haven't been together that long but decided to move in together as house-sharing is the only option on our (previous) incomes in London. We thought that as we were going to share with other people, we may as well share with each other.

Our finances are totally separate.

I was made redundant, have been for over 6 months, and now the JSA payments have stopped. I cannot claim income based JSA due to my girlfriend's income and savings. Whilst I was able to claim contributions based JSA, I couldn't claim housing benefits due to my girlfriend's income and savings.

Try telling me that I wouldnt' be better off financially if I were single. Go on, I dare ya! :rolleyes:
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But working partners can claim working tax credits in many cases.
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Ditzy_2
    Ditzy_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Actually, not so silly comment!

I live with my girlfriend. We haven't been together that long but decided to move in together as house-sharing is the only option on our (previous) incomes in London. We thought that as we were going to share with other people, we may as well share with each other.

Our finances are totally separate.

I was made redundant, have been for over 6 months, and now the JSA payments have stopped. I cannot claim income based JSA due to my girlfriend's income and savings. Whilst I was able to claim contributions based JSA, I couldn't claim housing benefits due to my girlfriend's income and savings.

Try telling me that I wouldnt' be better off financially if I were single. Go on, I dare ya! :rolleyes:

Most benefits are based on the old fashioned thinking that if you were married or living as if you were married that your spouse/ptnr would financially support you. I understand some couples choose to keep finances separate but it is about whom is ultimately responsible to financially support you -- partner or the state?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure