Tumble dryer only blowing cold air.

Options
Hi
I have an Indesot condenser tumble dryer.
A few weeks ago i noticed that the air being blown into it to dry the clothes, wasnt as hot as it shuld be, and it took ages to dry anything.
So, i looked it up on google, and as a result of that, i washed and cleaned the filter and the condenser.
It worked as it should (at the correct heat) for 1 load only, but now it is blowing cold air (even colder than what it was).

Any idea what could be wrong, how it could be fixed etc as i cant afford a new one! :(

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tigeress289
    Options
    I had the same thing happen some time ago and called out a local company to me. It appears that it is a sensor or fuse that blows, which controls the element. From memory we were charged £40 inc part. Since then worked perfect and easily changed, as done on site. Try your local electrical outlets, look in your local paper or gumtree online. Ask for a quote before you do anything.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My Hotpoint (I think they are same manufacturer?) was doing this intermittently. It turned out to be the heating element. Once I had the back cover off, it was obvious - one of the elements was broken. Was an easy fix and about £45 for the part from ebay. I do also remember that they have a habit of blowing the thermostats too - I've done mine twice in 5 years. Again, an easy fix and about £10 for both thermostats.

If you are, or know, a competent DIYer, then both these jobs are fairly straightforward, but if you need to get someone out, you'll probably not be far off the price of a new dryer!
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I googled it a bit more and came across a post in a forum which said that i needed to remove the grey casing on a box on the bottom right hand side (at the back) of the dryer, and make sure there is no water in the water tray.
    So, i did that, and it was full with water. So i emptied the water out of there, and checked that the pipes that lead to the water tray were not blocked.
    Hey presto, it is now blowing hot air again, and drying my clothes properly!
    BUT, now the light that indicates you needing to empty the water (in the normal water tray IYSWIM- the one that you normally empty after each cycle) has come on, and wont go off again!

EDIT: no, now its stopped blowing hot air, and the little water tray on the back that i had to open and empty, is full up again!

HELP PLEASE!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2012 at 5:44PM
    Options
    Sounds like pump failure-the lower tank holds the water until it's pumped up to the top (removable) tank in a consdenser drier. If it won't pump up, then it presumably locks out the heating element to avoid overfilling the bottom tank. If it blows hot air temporarily when you've emptied the bottom tank, then the element must be OK-once it fills, it locks out again.
    If that is the fault, the top tank will not be filling.
    Pump change is a fairly straightforward DIY job, or will cost you around £50 to get a white goods engineer in, plus the pump cost (around £20).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • cleggie
    edited 26 February 2012 at 5:44PM
    Options
    Thanks macman.

I cleaned the water out again, then took the top off the dryer, made sure the hoe into the water container wasnt blocked, cleaned it al out, and out the top back on , plugged it in, and now its working again!!
    3rd time lucky!!

EDIT- hmm, there is no water collecting in the drawer that i am supposed to empty, so i am not sure if its going to go wrong again.
  • macman
    Options
    As I said, if it's not pumping up to the top tank, and the feed to that isn't blocked, then the pump has failed. As soon as the bottom tank reaches the max level, it will cut out again.
    You're clearly quite handy, so changing the pump should be a simple job for you.
    Pumps are fairly standard and easily available online.
  • cleggie
    Options
    Thanks macman.
    Where would i get a pump from do you know?
    Its at times ike this that i wish i weren't a single mum!!
  • macman
    Options
    Try here:
    http://www.espares.co.uk/
    No reason why a single mum can't change a pump, if you can take the top/rear panel off, then you have done the difficult part. A pump, is normally just two electrical connectors and a jubilee clip.
  • cleggie
    edited 26 February 2012 at 6:29PM
    Options
    You are a star macman!
    I have located the pump on my tunbe dryer, just above the water tray?

But when i go to that link you gave me, and chose 'tuble dryers' i get this list:

http://www.espares.co.uk/search/tumble-dryers/indesit/p/1088/805

it doesnt say anything about pumps? any idea where i should look? Sorry, i know i am being a pain but you are my only hope!!

OK, i found it http://www.espares.co.uk/part/tumble-dryers/indesit/p/1088/805/0/0/871772/tumble-dryer-water-pump.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure