Fredrickson International harrassing automated message phone calls

anewman
anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 7 July 2011 at 2:28PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi everyone,

Firstly I have no debt, and am not the person they have named in their automated message. But thought it appropriate to post here, as it is harassment by phone regarding an alleged debt.

I have recently started receiving calls from Fredrickson International. I have learned by searching that they are a debt collection agency. They often do not mention a name in their messages, but did on one occasion, and it's not my name. These messages are in an automated computer voice (text to speech) and if not answered end up left on the answering machine. I add their numbers to the incoming call barr list on my Panasonic phone, but it seems they use a new number each time. They call from various different numbers. They have also sent an SMS message. Messages below...

Receive this one most.
This is an urgent message, please contact Fredrickson International on 02031478164 quoting reference number XXXXXXX thank you.
Received this longer one with name included once.
Hello, this is Fredrickson International, calling with an important message for Mr (name indeterminate, sounds like Grunderwood). Please can you call us back on 08458396014 between 8am and 9pm monday to friday, and 8am and 4pm saturday, quoting reference number XXXXXXX as soon as possible. That's 08458396014 quoting reference number XXXXXXX.
Numbers used so far include

Various "out of area" ones

SMS came from

Any magic way to make them get lost? Ignore or call them back and waste their time?

Comments

• KingElvis
    KingElvis Posts: 4,100 Forumite
    If you totally ignore them they'll get bored I reckon.

It's like fishing really.
    "We want the finest wines available to humanity, we want them here, and we want them now!"
  • david39
    david39 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    I would turn off your answering service as the computer that is sending the messages is registering it as an answered call so it will keep up the pressure.

If you have CLI and do not answer the calls, they will eventually stop.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    If you don't owe them money why not just pick up the phone and tell them that?
  • FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Send them a cease and desist letter. Return their letters 'not known' and then get nasty if they still wont leave you alone.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you don't owe them money why not just pick up the phone and tell them that?
    That will cost me money, and if they insist on calling me with a computer message and no human contact then that's their fault.
    FireWyrm wrote: »
    Send them a cease and desist letter. Return their letters 'not known' and then get nasty if they still wont leave you alone.
    No letters received. They have the wrong number anyway (or someone's old number from years back), and suspect whatever address they have doesn't match.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Debt-free and Proud!
    anewman wrote: »
    That will cost me money, and if they insist on calling me with a computer message and no human contact then that's their fault.

If they are calling you, how will that cost you money?

The call switches to an automated message when you don't pick up, that way the agents can move on and not waste time speaking to answer phones.

If you picked up you'd get a human, and then you can tell them you aren't the person they seek and they'll stop.

I don't understand why anyone, who doesn't owe money, would let a DCA keep calling and calling, when all you need to do is speak to them. Yeah, I can understand you wanting to avoid them if they were after you for a debt, but if you don't owe anything then the easiest thing to do is to tell them that.
  • tia76
    tia76 Posts: 4 Newbie
    If I were in your situation, I would either call them back or write to them to explain the person they are trying to contact is not know on your number. Otherwise, they will carry on and on.....
  • I have just had a call from them. The call is an automated SMS so you can't answer.
    I won't ring the number they quote as they don't say the charges for doing so.
    I have had this telephone number for less than a month!! I don't owe any money to anyone and no one should have this number.
    I have sent them an email...I will be interested in the reply.

I do hate this though. Why can't they just phone and tell you why they are ringing???

I must admit to being quite shaken by it!
    A huge thank you :kisses2: to all ones who take the time to post these competitions. I always seem to find them way after someone else does and is too late to post. :rotfl:
    Thank you.
  • Gordon_Hose
    Debt-free and Proud!
    They don't tell you the reason because it makes it more likely the person they are texting will call out of curiosity. And once they have you on the phone they can throw a pack of lies at you, then make ([empty] threats in the hope it'll scare you into paying. They don't care if you owe the money or not.
  • daleski75
    daleski75 Posts: 359 Forumite
    Sorry to dig up an old thread but this company is hassling me now so far they have phoned 3 times on a Sunday of all days and I don't owe any company any money whatsoever, tried to call them back and it's constantly engaged.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure