Would moving a Miele washing machine damage flooring?

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I always cut long strips of cardboard, lift the front slide under, tip to each side a little and in order to push them under the back feet. The machine should then just slide out.
  • madget_2
    madget_2 Posts: 668 Forumite
    Thanks, twinklyrach.

You know, the daft thing is that the vinyl floor tiles we have at the moment are crappy ones installed in our new-build home that have lasted us for 15 years. We've dragged all kinds of heavy stuff (although not as heavy as the Miele washing machine) across them without a single scratch or tear to show for it.

I've heard that Karndean can scratch, though. So it's really our own fault for wanting fancy flooring! ;-)

Do you take your Prestige Plus out every now and again for cleaning behind it?
  • madget_2
    Thanks, ic. Another good idea!
  • Miele washing maching you say?? Kardean floor??? youse name dropper you.lol
  • madget_2
    Miele washing maching you say?? Kardean floor??? youse name dropper you.lol

:rotfl:

I know! Shameless, aren't I!

Makes a bit of a change from my old 15 year old bog-standard, no-name vinyl and Ariston machine. I haven't half gone posh! I'll be too good to speak to anyone before long at this rate. ;)

(I just hope I won't be terrified to use them. I chickened out of Silestone and went for melamine because I thought I'd faint if anyone went near the expensive stuff!)
  • well if youve got it flaunt it lol.

Hope you enjoy you new kitchen with a Miele w/m and Kardean floor :D
    madget wrote: »
    :rotfl:

I know! Shameless, aren't I!

Makes a bit of a change from my old 15 year old bog-standard, no-name vinyl and Ariston machine. I haven't half gone posh! I'll be too good to speak to anyone before long at this rate. ;)

(I just hope I won't be terrified to use them. I chickened out of Silestone and went for melamine because I thought I'd faint if anyone went near the expensive stuff!)
  • sharkie
    sharkie Posts: 624 Forumite
    It definately damages lino!!! Whenever i try to move the heavy beast, my lino always rips - usually the lino at the back of the machine.

If you have cussioned lino, then it sinks in

becs, untll you have handled a a miele, you do not know what a heavy washing machine is :)
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We got a good tip from a joiner once, he said to get a piece of hardboard to sit the machine on, (doesn't have to be thick and you don't see it once the machine is in place)) and keep a second piece in a cupboard or shed. Then when you want to pull the machine out, you just put the second piece on the floor in front of the machine and slide it out with no damage to the floor.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ionkontrol wrote: »
    Argos – Appliance rollers
    FWIW about 15 years ago we used to have some that looked pretty much identical to those. They did a reasonable job, you just had to be a bit careful when you moved the appliance that it didn't slip off the rollers. I suppose the other (inevitable) disadvantage is that you end up with a bigger gap at the bottom so gunk can get underneath more easily.
    Stompa
  • Oh dear I must be a dirty old skank-bag. I have had my Miele washing for for nearly 6 years and have never pulled it out to clean behind it :o

You have had some good suggestions - personally I think I`d go for making a false kick board on the front to prevent stuff going underneath. If you have kitchen units each side, perhaps you could continue the plinth across the front of the w/m ( but might need to slide the machine back a bit if there is enough depth) The wheeled rollers might lift your w/m up too high to fit under your worktop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure