Best time to cancel Sky TV?

I subscribe to 5 mixes from Sky at £20 per month. Lately there has hardly ever been anything on to watch and I seem to be mostly watching the free channels now.

My Sky direct debit goes out of my bank account on the 12th of each month, what is the best date to ring up and cancel? I don't want to get stung by being cut off 1 day into a new billing month and still having to pay for that month or something like that. :o

I've had Sky TV for 2 years now so not in any contract.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bobsworlduk
    Bobsworlduk Posts: 287 Forumite
    I don't think it really matters as you have to give 30 days notice anyway. When you cancel they will just adjust your last payments so you only pay for the days you have sky.
  • If you call them and tell them you want to leave, they will offer you a discounted rate, or even 3 months free.
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Excuse my ignorance here but this thread caught my eye and I've got a question to ask....

I currently pay £19 a month and, like the OP, feel as if there is hardly any choice and would love to put the £19 to better use.

If I were to cancel my Sky subscription do I still receive the free channels - how does that work? The area I live in has a terrible TV reception and I always thought I had to get Sky to even watch the basic channels. Can I still get free digital connection then?

Sorry for butting in OP :o
  • neilD
    neilD Posts: 29 Forumite
    BBC & ITV are free and many more. If you want to test what you can get just pull the sky card out of the box and look at what is still watchable.

You will still see all the channel listed on the digibox but if you select a none free one it will tell you so.
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    That's great thanks - I'll speak to hubby tonight to see what he reckons, DD finishes school for the summer this week and at least I know she won't be sat at home watching TV all day haha - dunno how I'll cope without Miami Ink and Lisa Williams tho :o
  • SickStu
    SickStu Posts: 87 Forumite
    Leave the card in and you'll also still get the FTV channels like C4, C5, Sky3, Setanta Sports News etc. as well as the FTA.

explanation here:-

http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/SkyFTA.htm
  • mpython
    mpython Posts: 3,677
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Frugallas

You will be able to get BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, HD, CBBC Cbeebies, ITV 1, 2, 3, 4 Channel 4, More 4, E4, Film 4 (and their +1s), Channel 5, 5 US, fiver, and all the 'dross' shopping etc channels.

You do need to keep you Sky card (but no longer pay for it) as Channel 4 is scrambled and you won't be able to see it without it. Although its free they broadcast it scambled to stop it being seen in Europe.

From speaking to people on other forums, the biggest loss is not the channels but sky+ as Sky will turn this off when you cancel and you cannot access anything previously recorded, even if it was on a free channel.
    From MSE Martin - Some General Tips On Holiday Home Organisations and Sales Meetings

DO NOT TOUCH ANY OF THEM WITH A BARGEPOLE!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    C4/E4 are no longer scambled since the BBC Freesat service was launched last month so I read.

I haven't got Sky+ so haven't got that to worry about. I'll be phoning up tomorrow to cancel or see if they offer me a reduced fee or 3 free months. :D

Thanks
  • I cancelled sky and no longer get channel 4 and 5 through sky, although I did for the first few months..
  • Clive_Woody
    Clive_Woody Posts: 5,852
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I cancelled SKY a few months back, since then the offers to come back have been getting better and better, this month they are now offering SKY+ with free installation (last month they wanted to charge me £60 installation). I am looking forward to seeing what they offer next month to get me to come back to them.

:D
    "We act as though comfort and luxury are the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about” – Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure