HFC/TBI and charging orders- please help!

2»

Comments

• FireWyrm
    FireWyrm Posts: 6,557 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Well, from a moral standpoint, you have long since paid them off. They cant just keep chasing you for years until you die, that's ridiculous.

Its up to you, but after so long and so many payments, I would simply stop paying them and let them take me to court. When in court, I would tell them what you have told us. Its just obscene to be honest, I cant believe they think they can just keep up with this forever.
    Debt Free! Long road, but we did it
    Meet my best friend : YNAB (you need a budget)
    My other best friend is a filofax.
    Do or do not, there is no try....Yoda.

[/COLOR]
  • see its gona take us years with all our creditors, not just tbi, to clear our debts.

bankcruptcy is not an option and we have a good honest set up with most of pur creditors.

i am very fearful if it went to court that this would be the expected route to take.

but when does the point come when enoughs enough as it were. it will take forever for us to pay everything off.
  • Hi - I was in a similar situation with HFC/TBI a few years ago. Was paying £20 pm, they wanted more, I offered £40 but it wasn't good enough so they went for a CCJ and were demanding a higher amount and a charging order on our house plus interest on the debt at 8% (as it was then).

I made my case in front of the Judge - incomings, outgoings and debt repayments - and can truly say that he was very considerate of my circumstances. He could see that the £20 I was paying was really all I could afford and chided TBI for refusing the £40 I offered. He then made the order for the original £20 pm. He threw out their charging order and the request for 8% interest.

Stick to your guns. If they don't like it, let them go for it. So long as you can pay it off by the time you retire (which is what the Judge said to me) it will be over and done with and they cannot come back at you again (so long as you keep up the payments).

Hope this helps and I wish you luck.

Stella xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family