Employment scams BEWARE JOB HUNTERS

NAME AND SHAME RECRUITMENT SCAMS!

Us unemployed have enough issues, we don’t need to be applying for such scams!

As the numbers of unemployed rise by the day we need to raise awareness about this horrid scheme that preys on the jobless.

The Scam:
These companies place ads on recruitment sites across the country offering 'Graduate Business Training Scheme' and 'fast track management training'.
If you do apply you will of course be called up for an interview, which you will pass with flying colours, congrats!
if you’re not scared off by the dodgy looking office you ll no doubt attend the second 9h interview (this is where it start to get really odd) and you basically do door to door sales with your manager for free, although you can earn commission on the items you sell but thats all the money you ll get (if you even get that, they don’t seem to pay out)
Luckily most people seem to realise this before they attend the interview but that means you ve still wasted your time sending a cover letter and cv and also got excited at the possibility that someone wants to interview you!
Look out for the following:
- R & S marketing solutions (this company also does credit card scams in the US)
- Supreme Corporation UK Ltd
- Cobra group
I also think that the companies that allow these ads to be posted should also be named and shamed:
https://www.jobscareers24.co.uk/
jobs.trovit.co.uk
https://www.clickajob.co.uk
https://www.reed.co.uk
https://www.myjobsearch.com
For more illuminating stories go to
http://thewhinger.tgtmedia.co.uk/?p=1#more-1
PLEASE JOIN MY FACEBOOK GROUP TO HELP RAISE AWARNESS:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43203771818

Let’s get a big group together and then get good old watch dog on their !!!!!!!

Comments

• CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    I know a few people who used to work for Cobra 2-3 years ago and although it is commission only, two of them tell me they did quite well financially while they did it.

Never heard of the others though.
  • Another scam RAMPANT, especially on some popular free ads wesbsites are where fake jobs are advertised for the ultimate purpose of identity theft. I am not sure if I would be breaking some rule by mentioning the sites, but you will find hundreds of ads for all kinds of work, especially "work from home", "data entry", "online surveys" and the like.

The advertisers are out and out conmen!
  • Beware of any missed calls on your mobile claiming to be from a company called Quick Recruitment. They have been calling mobiles and hanging up. When you call back you get a recorded message asking you to call a recruitment adviser on another number. The number they give is a premium rate number.

They have a website which on first inspection looks like a legit website, but I think it is linked to a phishing scam. There is no address on the website, and no contact telephone numbers.

Speaking to other people who have dealt with them, their representatives say they will help you reclaim bank charges.... what does that have to do with recruitment? Very suspect.

Do not return their calls... it will cost you a lot of money, plus I believe that they could be after your personal information.

The company is not registered at Companies House. There is one registered there with a similar name, but it is in liquidation.

I have heard of fake recruitment websites that harvest your information then either sell it on or try to use it in identity theft.

Be wary.
  • A lot of valid comments below similar to my experiences when I worked for Code Marketing in Liverpool for months, who go under a different name these days.

During that time I was at university and needed a summer job. I applied for a sales position at Code Marketing and the very next day was invited in for an interview. When I arrived in the building there was a number of people also there for an interview for the same position in what was clearly the latest mass recruitment from the company. The office also looked brand new and bare as if it hadn't been opened that long.

I had my interview and was given the job there and then which I found surprising but never really read anything into it. The MD Alex Pinker (there's a name to remember and to Google) informed me the role was commission based, something his company has consistently failed to mention in their misleading job advertisements. He also informed me that the company was rapidly expanding and that if I and other employees worked hard enough, we could be running our own office within a year, earning a six figure salary.

I got a good indication within a week that it was all too good to be true but kept my mouth shut and stayed over that summer to simply earn some money. During that time lots of people left and lots of people replaced those who knew it was a joke - an endless cycle of Pinker exploiting the workforce just like other companies under the same umbrella continue to do now.

I'll give you the run down on what was a typical day working for them and undoubtedly this is very similar to other scam companies involved in the same line of business -

8am sharp - You would have to be at the office. All employees gather into the same room and loud, upbeat music is played for about five minutes to get everyone into a positive mood and to block out any negativity. Then the MD would give feedback on people's performances and give news (many of it undoubtedly lies) on how the company is progressing including how other branches are doing around the company. After that the boss would assign people to wherever they were working that day.

8.45am -9am - Go to wherever you've been assigned for the day and paying out of your own pocket as well.

10am - Arrive at the field and start pitching. Have to meet daily target of ten sales otherwise you come under pressure from the MD after a while.

Late afternoon - Back at office. Brief paperwork to be completed before going home.

Interestingly Code Marketing, just like a lot of other companies, have changed their name repeatedly no doubt to avoid the attention of Trading Standards. Their offices used to be at 42 Whitechapel in the city centre but I believe Pinker now runs an office in Bold Street.
  • It's terrible really. In the late 80s jobs were sparse. I went for an interview in Stonebridge, North London. A rough area. Loads of people there and they played the music from Hawaii Five O and got everybody to sit in columns and then pretend to row a boat like in the tv programme. After a very brief interview you were paired up with another unfortunate and given a big bag full off tat which you were meant to take round shops and sell. I can remember it like yesterday. Me and a woman I was with got the tube down to Baker Street to start our trawl round the shops. On the journey down we didn't really speak - I think we were too shocked at what was happening. Anyway, we got off at Baker Street with the bag. It was cold and !!!!ing down. We looked at each other and I said something like "Sod this, this is crazy" (less polite than that). We dumped the bag and had a coffee in that cafe by the tube. I walk past it every day now. I often wonder what happened to the woman.

Anyway, it's depressing that nothing's really changed. It was tough then but you could still get jobs in the public sector which you can't now.
  • Sammyantha
    Sammyantha Posts: 636 Forumite
    I spotted an add for "bar staff wanted: 7.25ph - 10.25 ph, no experience necessary" and a phone number. This was in my local Express and Star newspaper. I thought hmm, bar staff wage of more than £7?????? Did a quick search on google and found these guys advertising on all the major job boards and newspaper sites. On Jobsite the ad was in a bit more detail and in brackets at the end was "calls cost £1.50 per minute"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a SCAM!!!!

How and where can I report these fraudsters trying to con jobseekers? It's daylight robbery.:mad:

PS Recruiter's name is apparently Jody, and the number is 07013 101981
    The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
  • I had an interview with a simular group called Arcedia direct after posting my cv on reed without applying for it, decided to go anyway. I Arrived at the interview and told all this rubbish about fast promotions, offered a second interview and told them where to go.
  • Sammyantha wrote: »
    I spotted an add for "bar staff wanted: 7.25ph - 10.25 ph, no experience necessary" and a phone number. This was in my local Express and Star newspaper. I thought hmm, bar staff wage of more than £7?????? Did a quick search on google and found these guys advertising on all the major job boards and newspaper sites. On Jobsite the ad was in a bit more detail and in brackets at the end was "calls cost £1.50 per minute"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a SCAM!!!!

How and where can I report these fraudsters trying to con jobseekers? It's daylight robbery.:mad:

PS Recruiter's name is apparently Jody, and the number is 07013 101981

Hi Sammyantha

This was already replied toon your other thread, but if you report it to phonepayplus (comes up on google), they can follow the complain through, fine the offending company, and organise refunds of monies paid to the service

HTH xx
  • This is nothing new, it has gone on for years. It usually involves selling energy contracts door to door.

This was rife when I was a new graduate way back in 1999 and probably a long time before.

A large number seem to opreate out of grotty offices in the Northern Quarter (area near to Ancoats in Manchester)

Sharp people sometimes get desperate in times like this.

As for who advertise these positions all the job boards do-they don't care-why would they

The job centre advertise them as well, the job centre even advertise the business in a box scams. I reported one once and the job centre did not give a monkies.

Anyone can advertise at the job centre for free-no questions asked they even give employers/conartists a log in to their website.

Trust me the UK is a hole and has been for 30 years or more.

:eek::cool:
  • Taguh
    Taguh Posts: 1 Newbie
    I just came across another one. Had an email from Blue Line Global telling me that I am selected for an interview for customer service advisor. When I didn't email back they rang me and tried to arrange interview for tomorrow and even sent me an email with directions. I checked up on them and their website looks slick enough but under their address in Southampton are at least five other consultancy and marketing companies listed. When searching for their registration I found they had no assets and only been trading since last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure