Tobacco run to Belgium

Options
We are planning a trip to Belgium via the Hull to Zeebrugge ferry in the next few weeks. I was wondering if anyone knew any good places to shop for tobacco and cigars close to Zeebrugge.

I have found from google searching that Adinkerke seems to have quite a few shops dedicated to the 'tobacco/booze run' for us Brits and all seem to encourage payment in Sterling.

Anyone know anywhere closer to the Zeebrugge ferry terminal or should we risk the traffic and head for Adinkerke?? Also, it will be on a Monday morning when we arrive at Zeebrugge, any tips for driving gratefully received.

Comments

• dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This site has everything you need www.day-tripper.net he has editorials and also adverts from shops which contain their current price lists.

If you're driving I personally would recommend Adenkerke which is on the French / Belgium border.

Bear in mind that the Tobacco Shops in the towns that are set up to sell tobacco to the Brits generally prefer Sterling. It may be best to check first as things may have changed since I last went in November
  • Ducardo
    Options
    Sorry to bump this one up, if you are going on foot which is far cheaper if you go to Direct Ferries. com you can get a return for two on some crossing for £48,which includes a nice cabin get a taxi from the terminal (ask for the tram stop) or walk it it's about a mile

Catch the coastal tram to Ostend there are several good shops just as cheap as Adinkirk the tram will cost you about 2.50 Euro.

A few things to remember, food and drink on the ferry are quite expensive although the buffet service is all you can eat, Dinner is about £17.90 and breakfast is £9, do what we do take your own and a travel kettle, the bars are also quite expensive many people who feel the need buy alcohol in the duty free on board (I know it's not duty free) and drink it in their cabins.

Also Belgium is not a cheap country to visit (apart from the tobacco) food and drink is quite expensive in the main areas, try to be prepared to rough it a bit, buy some bread and pate or cheese from a supermarket
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure