Criteria for getting Incapacity Benefit?

Options
I always believed to get incapacity benefit you had to of work for 3 years, I've been informed you can receive it if you have received Carer's Allowance?

As anyone more info on this matter?

Lucy
:beer:
A REFORMED Credit Addict*

Comments

• Ted_Hutchinson
    Ted_Hutchinson Posts: 7,142 Forumite
    Options
    Full details of IB criteria are set out here at Disability Alliance where, among other things, you see you have to
    either satisfy the rules for contributory Incapacity Benefit or non contributory Incapacity Benefit
    and if you follow the contributory Incapacity Benefit link the exception for CA is set out in detail.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Lucymiss
    Lucymiss Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Ted, I've been a carer for approx 5 years, so I should be able to get it. Someone I know was adamant that you could get it if you had worked!

Lucy
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Carer's Allowance and National Insurance contributions

For each week you receive Carer's Allowance you will normally get a National Insurance (NI) contribution added to your NI record up to the tax year in which you turn 60 (unless you are a woman who has chosen to pay reduced rate NI contributions).
    You will also normally be credited with an NI contribution for any week you are entitled to Carer's Allowance but it is not paid because you are also getting Widow's Benefit or Bereavement Benefits at the same or higher weekly rate.
    The award of Class 1 NI credits safeguards your right to certain benefits such as State Pension, contribution - based Jobseeker's Allowance and Incapacity Benefit.
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    on top of this you also need to pass a PCA.

if you lose your job through illness the first 6 months is covered by gp certification before the PCA.
  • Lucymiss
    Lucymiss Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, Do you mean even to have a claim for incapacity benefit accepted you have to have a PCA? Such a mindfield all this.

Lucy
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You will be paid Incapacity Benefit with a sick note from your doctor but are likely to need to have and pass a PCA to continue being paid.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Incapacity Benefit - The Personal Capability Assessment
    to add up the somewhat tricky scoring system. Remeber you have to have a mental health diagnosis and current mental health condition to start scoring on the mental health test.
    All Work Test Calculator
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    if you wasnt previously working, eg. on JSA, then you will probably be asked to do a PCA within the first month or two of the claim.

Of course often their is delays so given that you would probably be called for a medical and 2 or 3 month waiting list for atos origin they would pay your benefit during this time and you could feasibly be on it for half a year or so anyway before the PCA is completed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure