Transfer loan into another name?

Options
Hi guys,

Is it possible to transfer a loan into another person's name

Here is the hypothetical (as it has not happened to me):
Loan taken out in person A's name and thus against person A's credit file - but the loan is actually for person B.

Would it be possible somehow to then transfer the loan into person B's name?

Thanks

Comments

• Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge, the simple answer is 'NO'.

I asked the same question to Barclaycard Loans regarding a car loan that I took out on my brother's behalf, and this was their answer.
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Options
    Don't know for sure but I'd guess the answer is no.

However, why doesn't person B apply for a loan independently then simply give the money to person A to pay off the original loan.

Achieves the same end result surely? :confused:
  • Forris
    Forris Posts: 366 Forumite
    Options
    Surely that would just add extra interest to the second loan, unless they could get a low interest deal.

Also, if they could get a loan, then they would probably have done so in the first place!
  • talana
    talana Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    Options
    Forris wrote: »
    Also, if they could get a loan, then they would probably have done so in the first place!

Well if they couldn't get a loan in the first place, then surely they're never going to get any existing loan transferred to their name either? Even if it were possible
    Surely that would just add extra interest to the second loan, unless they could get a low interest deal.
    Perhaps I should have said all things being equal it can be done. Sure it depends on available deals, interest rates and the like.
  • simplymegreg
    Options
    Thanks for your replies,

Probably the best solution is to just get the money paid to settle the loan. Loan amount isn't massively high its around £600.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure