asda and money off vouchers

I was shopping in Asda today, when I was paying at the checkout I handed over some money off coupons,the cashier rang for a superviser,they said they had stopped taking coupons unless you buy the product.I said I had been using coupons for weeks ,they said it had come from head office and it started on monday,they said many people were abusing the use of coupons,he said last week a customer had 7 boxes of uncle bens rice and by using money off coupons they only paid for 1....I have a lot of the £1.00 off kleenex (8 roll pack) they said they could be used for say an 8 pack of asda loo rolls but only if there was no kleenex.so they will do like for like products, they also said they are not taking money off coupons from other supermarkets eg.somerfield......i did suggest they put a note by the tills so that customers know about this, he just said whats the point they are always changing the rules........... :confused:

Comments

• randan
    randan Posts: 393 Forumite
    Where I live there are 5 Asda within travelling distance. The two closest have completely different policies in that the nearest one has recently changed and will now only take upto 10% for items not bought but the other seems to take any and all coupons including Joeys, Quattros, Somerfield, internet printed, etc. etc. even if you don't buy any of the products.

Guess which one I have started using recently?

It does seem to vary from shop to shop but maybe head office is trying to put a stop to this.
    Your really can not beat a good bargain !!!
  • millie
    millie Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Asda in Nottingham took my vouchers on Monday and did not say anything, I only used 3 for £1.20 in total but did not have any problems
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I had much the same experience as Frosty on Saturday, so we will have to see if this filters through to any more stores. In my town there is a large ASDA (which has just stopped taking coupons for not buying product) and a small which has never taken them. Guess its back to Tesco's then!
  • my asda in grimsby was fine about taking vouchers on Monday
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my local asda, will take 2 coupons as long as they sell the item , but you dont have to buy it
    and 3 or 4 coupons as long as you have bought the item.
    but it does depend on who is on the till
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • SAHARA
    SAHARA Posts: 187 Forumite
    Mine took 10% off on Tuesday
    July Grocery Challenge Budget £160
    Spent
  • Addy
    Addy Posts: 1,896 Forumite
    Mine consistently will take only 10% for items you haven't bought, as long as they stock the product and it isn't a store specific one. Which is fine, as all till staff are aware of this so we all know where we stand.

I'd rather have that than the prospect of being told in a loud voice at Tesco "But you haven't BOUGHT any of these things" - in the same store that several were happily accepted a few days earlier.

If my Asda can implement a policy, and have all staff aware of it. Why can't Tesco (and some other Asda's)??
  • RAMBLER
    RAMBLER Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    Unfortunately addy I think there does seem to be a policy ( which then changes) which is passed down to stores. Some pay attention (depending how sh*t hot the customer services manager is) and some just make their own rules up. CONFUSING OR WHAT. I just pray each time I go in (to either tesco's or asda) try to go to someone I know who excepts coupons, and if they don't, I smile pleasantly and try again next time.....

RAMBLER :confused::confused::confused:
    There is no need to run outside
    For better seeing,
    Nor to peer from a window.
    Rather abide at the center of your being.

Lao Tzu
  • Dormouse
    Dormouse Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    robnye wrote:
    my local asda, will take 2 coupons as long as they sell the item , but you dont have to buy it
    and 3 or 4 coupons as long as you have bought the item.
    Surely if you've bought the item, you can use however many coupons? :confused: E.g. if you have a voucher for everything in your basket, you could get the whole lot for free?
  • Hi, I'm just back from my local Asda in Glasgow and they took all my vouchers off my shop no problem I hope this is only a blip at OPs' local...What I do is stick to the young guys /girls as they don't bother as much as the older ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure