How to unregister as self-employed?

Hello

I planned to start up my own business, and so registered as self-employed, however, I have recently decided not to go ahead with the business. So I haven't earned any money at all.

This is only a few weeks after registering. I received a letter from my local tax office saying I will be recieving a tax return.

How do I unregister? I assume I should ring the Newly Self-Employed Helpline and tell them?

Will I still get a tax return, even though I will have unregistered quickly and haven't earned a penny?

Hope you can advise me.

Thank you! :j

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    You need to contact the tax office which sent you the letter and tell them you have decided not to go ahead with the self employment.

If you registered before the end of the 06/07 tax year (5 April 2007) then you will still have to fill in a tax form for 06/07, that can't be stopped. However you basically leave the self employment page blank with just a note saying the business never took off. You will have to complete the rest though, including any employment pages. The sooner you do it the quicker the tax office can remove the self assessment signal to ensure you don't get any forms next year.
  • Major_Star
    Major_Star Posts: 14 Forumite
    Pam17 wrote: »
    You need to contact the tax office which sent you the letter and tell them you have decided not to go ahead with the self employment.

If you registered before the end of the 06/07 tax year (5 April 2007) then you will still have to fill in a tax form for 06/07, that can't be stopped. However you basically leave the self employment page blank with just a note saying the business never took off. You will have to complete the rest though, including any employment pages. The sooner you do it the quicker the tax office can remove the self assessment signal to ensure you don't get any forms next year.

I only registered a few weeks ago - it was after the 5 April 2007. Will I still get a tax return form?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I wouldn't think so if you call them soon. You would only have been sent one after next April anyhow but it would be best to call them asap to get it sorted out.
  • anitamarie
    anitamarie Posts: 57 Forumite
    I have a not dissimilar issue in that I was self-employed and then went Ltd, so effectively my company employed me and paid me a salary. I rang the IR to advise this and ask about the bills I continued to receive for NI contributions. Their advice, which concerns me, was to ignore the demands for NI contributions I receive as a self-employed person as this will sort itself out when I do my next tax return. Does this sound right?
  • Hoddie_2
    Hoddie_2 Posts: 622 Forumite
    Does this sound right?

Absolutely not. Contact the National Insurance office and give them the date your self-employment ceased - 0845 915 4655.
    Quidco savings: £499.49 tracked, £494.35 paid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure