The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Boilerjuice

2»

Comments

• gladtobegrey
    gladtobegrey Posts: 17
    First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 January 2011 at 10:13AM
    According to their website, DCC owns and distributes oil under the following brand names:
    • Texaco
    • CPL
    • O.J. Williams
    • Carlton Fuels
    • Emo Oil
    • Scottish Fuels
    • Shell

... and BoilerJuice,of course.

I have purchased from BoilerJuice a couple of times in the past, but NEVER without also ringing round a number (now 15) of local suppliers for quotes, some big names, some locally-owned companies, as well. When it was first established it didn't give the best prices in my area, then for a while it was competitive, and now it isn't again. Takes 15 minutes to ring round and make a purchase, and saves quite a bit (almost £55 on 500 litres this time round). I would not opt for the 'convenience' of a regular top-up service, as you're completely at the company's mercy on price.

Our recent 500 litre oil order, delivered this morning, was the minimum purchase possible, in the hope that the price falls again as the weather improves and the backlog reduces. The quotes ranged from 73.4ppl down to 62.98ppl, for 20-day delivery, with BoilerJuice's best price (debit card, i.e. no CC premium) just on the wrong side of the mid-point of the range at 69.0ppl. Prices for immediate delivery were well over 100ppl.

Interestingly, two DCC companies were in the top three for best price - CPL and O.J. Williams. CPL gave the very best price, and they readily undercut everyone else, including their DCC brethren.
  • ulsterman
    ulsterman Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 17 January 2011 at 11:39AM
    DCC actually trade under around 40 different brands the length and breadth of the UK, including:

Alderdice Fuels
    Anmer Oils
    Bates & Hunt
    Baxter Johnston
    Bayford Oils
    W H Bowes
    Black Cat Fuels
    Boiler Juice
    Brett Fuels
    Bernard Brogan
    Carlton Fuel
    Cawoods Oil
    Charter Fuels
    CPL Petroleum
    DCC Energy
    Emo Oil
    Energy NI
    W Eves
    Flogas
    FuelOilDirect.co.uk
    Fuel Services
    GB Oils
    Grampian Fuels
    Gulf
    Haven Fuels
    Imperial
    Jackson Fuels
    James D Johnson
    Martindale Fuels
    Noble Fuels
    Owen Fuels
    F Peart
    Scottish Fuels
    Southern Counties Fuels
    Speed Fuel Oils
    Suffolk County Fuels
    Team Flitwick
    Townson
    Town & Country Fuels
    TT Fuels
    UK Fuels
    OJ Williams

As an oil heating consumer, what worries me every bit as much as DCC's dominance in the marketplace, is their competitors' apparent willingness to freely share pricing information with the dominant player in the market, through price comparison websites such as Boilerjuice.co.uk and Fueloildirect.co.uk which are of course owned by DCC.

As someone who previously has worked in sales, it makes me wonder why any company would wish to share prices with its principal competitor??!!

Regards

John
  • jones830
    jones830 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Can't log in to Boilerjuice site at 09:30
  • misterbean
    misterbean Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 12 May 2011 at 7:57AM
    My daughter has found thefuelline.com worked out the cheapest earlier this week for hers. They say they are not owned by any oil company.
    Oil prices dropped over 4p a litre in just a week of checking and she paid fifty something
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    There's only one rule: shop around. Use ALL the online comparison/bulk-buy sites AND phone local companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure