Scammed by Entitlements Agency

Comments

• Googling them brings up some interesting information. You may have been right in the first place: there is a big difference between a legitimate company that does something that you could do for yourself, and one that deliberately misleads and cheats people. It seems that they DID try to look like HMRC. See below ...

By the way, in the past people who have used tax rebate companies have been advised to let HMRC know that they no longer have an agent, as otherwise even if you make a claim for a refund yourself, HMRC will send it to the company who will take their cut.

http://www.pistonheads.com/GASSING/topic.asp?h=0&t=627461&nmt=The
    Who having known the diamond will concern himself with glass?

Rudyard Kipling

• AstroBoy72
    AstroBoy72 Posts: 11 Forumite
    We have already contacted HMRC and told them to never give out anything to this company again.

If the cheque does not clear is there anything we can do?
  • AstroBoy72
    Write up about them on lovemoney;

First up,The Entitlements Agency quite simply enables taxpayers to print off and complete a claim form to get the ball rolling which they will forward onto HMRC. In return, you’ll be charged a painful flat fee of 17% (+ VAT) of any rebate they manage to claim back on your behalf. If your rebate was say £300, The Entitlements Agency would keep £51 plus £8.93 in VAT, meaning you have lost a chunk of almost £60 from your rebate.

Interestingly, when I typed ‘Inland Revenue’ - the precursor to HMRC - into Google, I was surprised to see The Entitlements Agency advert appears at the top of the page. The url for the site is actually inland-revenue.org.uk.

If you ask me this makes the site appear officially HMRC sanctioned even though it’s completely independent from any government agency.
  • My guess is that the cheque will clear. If not, perhaps you need to go to the Small Claims Court.

Rudyard Kipling

• AstroBoy72
    they have a facebook fanpage with some happy customers :rotfl:
    facebook.com/pages/The-Entitlements-Agency/277935098918033
  • AstroBoy72
    edited 16 July 2012 at 3:51PM
    More good reviews From the BBC
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7785813.stm
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 July 2012 at 4:00PM
    AstroBoy72 wrote: »
    Thanks for that helpful post :wall:Do you work for these people?

It's hardly someone else's fault that you didn't read the website carefully. Did you not click their "about us" link? Yes the company are pretty unethical, but what else can anyone here say that will make you happy? It's happened. You need to make sure that the Inland Revenue know they are no longer your agents, make sure you learn to read websites like that carefully and understand your options for things like this so it won't happen again then you need to move on.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • AstroBoy72
    It's hardly someone else's fault that you didn't read the website carefully. Did you not click their "about us" link? Yes the company are pretty unethical, but what else can anyone here say that will make you happy? It's happened. You need to make sure that the Inland Revenue know they are no longer your agents, make sure you learn to read websites like that carefully and understand your options for things like this so it won't happen again then you need to move on.

I was not blaming anyone apart from myself, in my first post;
    "Like !!!!!!! idiots we thought taxrebate.co.uk was the official site to get the tax refunds"

I will no longer add anything to this thread as I have done everything I can at this time to warn others.

I'm usually very careful when it comes to researching stuff but, was going through some difficult times and didn't do my due diligence.

Completely my fault, it's a fact that this world is cruel and if you trust too much you may become a victim.
  • You could let everyone know if the cheque clears ok.

Rudyard Kipling

• antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    AstroBoy72 wrote: »
    Write up about them on lovemoney;

First up,The Entitlements Agency quite simply enables taxpayers to print off and complete a claim form to get the ball rolling which they will forward onto HMRC. In return, you’ll be charged a painful flat fee of 17% (+ VAT) of any rebate they manage to claim back on your behalf. If your rebate was say £300, The Entitlements Agency would keep £51 plus £8.93 in VAT, meaning you have lost a chunk of almost £60 from your rebate.

Interestingly, when I typed ‘Inland Revenue’ - the precursor to HMRC - into Google, I was surprised to see The Entitlements Agency advert appears at the top of the page. The url for the site is actually inland-revenue.org.uk. They appear first because they would have PAID to appear first on the page and fool you into signing up.

If you ask me this makes the site appear officially HMRC sanctioned even though it’s completely independent from any government agency.

I`m sorry you got stung
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport