Cheapest iPad 2?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
Holiday Haggler
edited 4 January 2012 at 7:01PM in Techie Stuff
Official MoneySavingExpert.com insert

Thanks to all for the great discussion below. To see our full guide to Cheap iPad deals, go here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/cheap-ipad

Back to the original post...

My lovely wife has decided she would like to buy me an iPad 2, and I was hoping to find her the best price for it.

Best i've found so far for the 32gb wifi model is £469.20 (NHS discount through the apple online store). Anyone know cheaper?

Also.. anyone know what's better to go for; 16gb or 32?

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you want mobile phone capabilities, then the mobile companies do some apparently good options.

For me, the memory is a severe limitation, so even 64 GB (note it's uppercase GB - one uppercase 'B' is 8 lowercase 'b's, and a lowercase 'g' is meaningless in computing) isn't enough, and Apple's pricing model is to charge you about £100 per memory increment 16-32-64 GB, where it actually costs them pennies.
  • I don't need 3G.. i have a good data plan on my HTC Desire HD.. if i need data on the ipad, i'll just set up wireless tethering.

GB vs gb ... if you knew what I meant, thats enough for me. I'm not trying to describe storage capacity on a hard disk, i'm describing products.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My wife wants one too! I've decided the 16gb version is enough for my (her) needs as she will principally use it for Facebook. Like you, 3G is not required.
  • NeverAgain_2
    NeverAgain_2 Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    A general tip about Apple shops - they will price match, although they don't advertise it.

I've bought two MacBook Pros in the last year and got £100 off each time.

The assistant told me it has to be 'in stock' at the other retailer - in my case it was Amazon.

She used one of the demo machines in the shop to check the site and agreed to price match after a word with her superior.

A general word of praise for Apple shops.

I've always found the staff charming and helpful.

Ultimately, they are just shops, but there's a certain style and panache about Apple which other retailers do not have.
  • Well, the bigger question now is - where the heck can you buy one from!?
  • i've been looking too - the prices seem to be set so it's whether or not you can get any extras with them, for example free engraving through apple or clubcard points on tesco - i'm going to go the tesco route but they are all out of stock atm
  • ok.. Argos have got them in stock, with free delivery - 2 days wait (mine comes on Wednesday!).

1.5% quidco also... hey, it's 7 quid towards a case
  • Chorlie
    Chorlie Posts: 1,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    My Dad has just bought a 64GB iPad 2 WiFi only from PC World Web Site, it was delivered in 4 working days.

I did see Best Buys was offering 8% cashback via Quidco, but never had any non 3G iPad 2's in stock.

They are bit like Rocking Horse Do Do to find....
  • wba31
    wba31 Posts: 2,189 Forumite
    Well, the bigger question now is - where the heck can you buy one from!?

PC World and Curry's had a load in when i was shopping around last weekend... I would use your NHS discount in Apple Store...
  • chipmunk
    chipmunk Posts: 529 Forumite
    prowla wrote: »
    ..For me, the memory is a severe limitation, so even 64 GB (note it's uppercase GB - one uppercase 'B' is 8 lowercase 'b's, and a lowercase 'g' is meaningless in computing) ...

smiley-rolleyes007.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport