Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    yeah shame on them indeed paying artists money - tsk tsk, what IS the world coming to...

What you have to realise is that this is the only set of industries (Image and Music copyright) that abuse this Act.

We design and build AC systems and using this take on the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act, we could charge anyone who has benificial use of such systems i.e. you go into a building that uses our ac, Hospital, Banks etc. Would you be happy to pay a charge to enter a supermarket or Bank or Hospital or shop it could go on forever!! We do not do this but we could as could holders of patent and design rights for almost every type of "everyday" things! This could even include your clothes, you only pay to use these things within the domestic environment only go outside in your shoes and technically you have to pay!!!

This is how ridiculous the PRS and Getty's interpretation of the Act is!!!
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    OMG ur on Gettys !!!! now too? LOL I think your signature is completely apt and prob less tongue in cheek than one would have originally assumed!

weeclick if ur a musician not getting royalties your entitled to get in touch with http://sentricmusic.com/AboutUs.aspx and they will hook you up :)
  • DCodd
    Forumite
    OMG ur on Gettys !!!! now too? LOL I think your signature is completely apt and prob less tongue in cheek than one would have originally assumed!

Well I hope you will be happy if PRS or Gettys win a test case ( Gettys has one coming up J A Coles V Corbis & Getty) as if you or anyone else has a Face Book page or Bebo or the like then as far as Getty is concerned you will have to pay them for use of any image that may be used on your site at £40 a go!! and that will include the little Icons on this site as they will have the right to charge for any image that have a copyright and that is all images and the same will apply to PRS.

The movement to stop this is not an attack on these industries but a demand for the unreasonable interpretation of the Act to be stopped! Everyone should be paid what they are due but only what they are due and this Act was NEVER meant to be a charge for listening to the radio!!

The actions of PRS and Getty are damaging these industries! just take a look at the effect that raising taxes on alcohol has had on the revenue collected, a drop in real terms of 18% People will not pay more for things that they pay enough for already!!

And yes I am Old & Grumpy and Old & Grumpy enough to remeber when the TV licence was a guarantee of permission to watch and listen to the Public broadcasts of TV and Radio anywhere, with limited access to TV's we all watched together as neighbours and family and friends! which now PRS,PPL etc would say NOT IF YOU DON'T PAY US AS WELL!!!

Maybe I'm not materialistic enough for this world but pay whats due and only whats due and stop the mis-use of a law that was meant to protect intellectual copyright.:confused:
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • Spartacus_Mills
    Spartacus_Mills Posts: 5,545 Forumite

weeclick if ur a musician not getting royalties your entitled to get in touch with http://sentricmusic.com/AboutUs.aspx and they will hook you up :)

Crikey, this is almost incoherent. Try posting in English.
    "There's no such thing as Macra. Macra do not exist."
    "I could play all day in my Green Cathedral".
    "The Centuries that divide me shall be undone."
    "A dream? Really, Doctor. You'll be consulting the entrails of a sheep next. "
  • rev_henry
    rev_henry Posts: 4,959
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I work in a small gift shop and these jokers have called up a couple of times. There is a flat above the shop in which, at the time, the owner and his wife lived. So on this occasion, owners wife spoke to them and said that her husband often plays music in the flat quite loud, is that ok? To which the response was, no you must ensure that people in the shop can't hear it. At this point she told them to p!ss off and not to tell her what to do in her own home.
    Once they got word of it, the owners had the idea of using a CD of someone they know who sings folk songs on a small scale; doesn't have a record deal or anything, I presume just distributes CDs among friends or whatever. Anyway, they asked these jokers if that was OK, and of course it wasn't. So now we have no music for the time being.

Surely their grounds for demanding a license for commercial music is shakey at best, but for non commercial, small scale independent artists, its just having a laugh.
  • paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    When PRS phone up they base their bill on the number of staff, size of shop and whether the music system has a separate speaker system or is just a small integrated unit etc. If you give them figures at the low end (e.g. just list the number of full time staff not part timers and temps) the bill shouldn't be that high, 2 years ago for a smallish shop the bill for me was under £100.

Whether the system is right or wrong the figure is small change in the grand scheme of business overheads, given how much benefit it gives to customers and staff it really isn't worth refusing to pay it. Staff morale will drop and browsing customers will spend less time in the shop, you've just got to bite your tongue and pay it.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,892
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    paulwf wrote: »
    Staff morale will drop and browsing customers will spend less time in the shop, you've just got to bite your tongue and pay it.
    Now THAT depends on your choice of music and the volume at which you play it! Trust me, there are a number of shops I walk into and straight out of, because I really can't stand the racket!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tsugi
    tsugi Posts: 32 Forumite
    Hi all,

While I agree that these things are frustrating, and often can seem like a nonsense - there are shops and companies that use music to get customers in (or in some cases - out!), and while it's very popular to say composers are making one million pounds from album sales - that is very much a minority. I write for commercials and films. The fees are in general pretty poor. I am not complaining at all: it's the going rate, but not in the tens of thousands (or in most cases even the thousands). Also, you don't tend to spend every day writing for another programme, so the fee might be what you get for the next few months. Royalties are there to cover the music being used again and again. Actors get repeat fees, writers get paid for excerpts being used, designers and inventors get a percentage of the sale of their design.

It may not be popular, and it is sometimes ludicrously administered, but it's certainly not people's hard-earned cash lining the pockets of a few millionaires!

I thought I'd add my point to the discussion.

Currently facing bankruptcy (music piracy don't you know!) and chasing the Clydesdale for all I'm worth!
  • DCodd
    Forumite
    tsugi wrote: »
    Hi all,

While I agree that these things are frustrating, and often can seem like a nonsense - there are shops and companies that use music to get customers in (or in some cases - out!), and while it's very popular to say composers are making one million pounds from album sales - that is very much a minority. I write for commercials and films. The fees are in general pretty poor. I am not complaining at all: it's the going rate, but not in the tens of thousands (or in most cases even the thousands). Also, you don't tend to spend every day writing for another programme, so the fee might be what you get for the next few months. Royalties are there to cover the music being used again and again. Actors get repeat fees, writers get paid for excerpts being used, designers and inventors get a percentage of the sale of their design.

It may not be popular, and it is sometimes ludicrously administered, but it's certainly not people's hard-earned cash lining the pockets of a few millionaires!

I thought I'd add my point to the discussion.

Currently facing bankruptcy (music piracy don't you know!) and chasing the Clydesdale for all I'm worth!

And it is people like yourself that the PRS are harming! We all want you to get your hard earned money. What most people on here are complaining about is the fact that the PRS are charging for Listening to the radio which was never meant to be the point of the Act. The PRS have had their money from the radio stations braodcasting the work already (and hopefully passed it on to you and your fellow composers etc.). It is the Double or triple charging that we want stopped.
  • DCodd
    Forumite
    Apologies for bringing this up again but I have a proposition for all posters on both sides of the argument.

I have posted a petition on the Number 10 website asking for the Government to clarify what constitutes a breach of the Copyright, designs and Patent Act with regards to the listening of Radios.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Clarify-PRS/

From what I have been able to gather from the website, if we get over 500 signatures the Government will respond to it.

I urge all who have an opinion to read and then sign the petition, if you agree with the wording of course, to hopefully put in motion a clarification, once and for all, on this subject.

If you sign the petition and the Government responds you will receive an e-mail from the Number 10 website with that response.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure