Shop Radio License? scammers?

Comments

• I have received post and phone calls with regards to a business license to have the radio playing in my shop. Is this a scam? Or just simply another Tax??

Thanks,

Is there a way around this? Playing CD's internet radios etc etc?

You could consider using a Royalty Free Source of music this can be bought as a one off fee from various places on the web www.rfmradio.co.uk is just one of these.

Thanks Hd
  • bettybop
    bettybop Posts: 13 Forumite
    Just found this on another forum:http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Law/Question558151.html

Question)
    If you listen to any radio broadcast, you still need the licence.

I won't go in any shop or business premises that is playing music if I can help it - it drives me batty.

Answer)
    Yes, I am afraid you do!!

This is my line of business and we also have inspectors who snoop around.

We get paid £50 if we can find a business operating without a license, so tell me where you are Wattee and maybe we can split the proceeds!!! Lol.
  • I have also had a few letters and a phonecall, which i told them i dont listen to radio or have a tv on the premisis.

I listen to the radio on my laptop at work, when people come in i turn it down.

Whats going to happen? the music police burst in and demand that i show them a license to play radio??? I doubt it

Businesses get enough tax and scams to even consider buying one of these licenses!
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We should all go on strike and listen to talk stations for 3 months, the music industry relies on radio stations to publicise their music (So we go out and buy it) and they make money in royalties when its paid.

They now want us to pay to listen to it on the radio as well.

If we all went on strike they would soon change their tune and come up with some way where we don't have to pay to listen to them.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268
    Forumite
    dacouch wrote: »
    We should all go on strike and listen to talk stations for 3 months, the music industry relies on radio stations to publicise their music (So we go out and buy it) and they make money in royalties when its paid.

They now want us to pay to listen to it on the radio as well.

Just yesterday had the call, "I don't listen to music" I say, "then you still need to pay if you listen to radio 4 as it might have jingles on it", they replied. What a load of tosh!!
    There's no radio/player near the public and as I do not have staff they won't get money out of me for listening to royalty free music on an mp3 player whilst I'm watering my plants.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • max2009
    max2009 Posts: 543 Forumite
    If like stated before you get £50 for reporting every offender then i am ringing their careers line :)
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637
    Forumite
    max2009 wrote: »
    If like stated before you get £50 for reporting every offender then i am ringing their careers line :)

I hear they are recruiting for tax collectors and parking wardens...they are about as popular....
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,564
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The PRS pestered my business to death with telephone calls and letters for months until I issued them with a Notice Under Section 11 of the Data Protection Act 1998.
    That shut them up pretty damn quick......never heard from the annoying tw*ts again.
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Here is the response I had from PRS when I querried what part of the Copyright, Designs and Patent Act they rely on to request money for a Licence.

Dear Mr C

Thank you for your E-mail here at PRS For Music in anwer to your query Section 72 of the Act refers to the copyright that exists independently in a broadcast (whether transmitted by wireless or cable) and in sound recordings or films included in such transmissions. It does not relate to the right of public performance in any original copyright musical works which may form a part of those broadcasts, sound recordings or films.
    So, section 72 does not free the person showing or playing broadcasts/cable programmes from their responsibility to the owner of the copyright in the musical work (and any words associated with them) which may be contained in them. The broadcaster who has a licence with PRS for Music will be accountable only in regard to the right to broadcast PRS for Music controlled music. The right to perform a work in public is distinct from the right to communicate that work to the public by means of a broadcast and therefore PRS for Music licenses the public performance separately; as section 72 does not apply to musical works it does not change PRS for Music licensing in this area.
    I hope this helps answer your query

Kind regards
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    And here is my response to their somewhat general comments and a question relating to the Civil Contingencies Act 2004. I have had no reply as yet (4 days and still waitng)
    I have also e-mailed the radio stations that we used to listen to at work and informed them that because our boss is not willing to pay this riddiculous licence we are switching off our radios.

Dear Mr S

Thank you for your response, I would however re ask the question as to which part of the Copyright, Design and Patent act you, being the PRS, rely on?

If section 72 does not apply and sections 25-27 require the premisies to be hired for entertainment, I can see nothing applicable within the act. Is there some other legislation you refer to and rely on?

I do not mean to seem pedantic but having been told we need a licence to listen to music at work, as a music buying customer (with three kids and four Ipods in the house it runs into £100's a year) I feel an explantion of the relevant legislation is not too much to ask?

I think you will find that most people see the playing of music on the radio as the main form of "Advertising" for your clients, we hear a record we like and then go and buy it. People will not put up with paying for the "privilege" of lisrening to the promotion of your clients work and then having to pay again to buy it. Having asked around my circle of friends I can confirm that business are switching off in droves! This can only harm your clients, surely?

I would also take this opportunity to ask how this stands up against the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 wich clearly states that Local and National Governments can in part meet their "Duty to inform the Public" via the Local and National radio networks. 7/11 and the Oil refinery disaters both utilised the network to prevent further loss of life and disruption. I have been led to believe that should the public not have free access to this network either or both the Authorities or the organisation that prevents such access could be in breach of this statutory law?

I know I may seem grumpy but I just want to know why I buy music, I pay a TV licence (which also funds BBC Radio) and I'm being told that to listen to the music I have brought and Paid for I need to pay again??

Many thanks
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure