Staffie proof toys, anyone got any ideas?

Hi
I have a gorgeous little staffie who in general never chews :eek: :rotfl:
But when we go out rather than throwing her a stick, i prefer to use a toy.
Anyway, are there any good toys/balls out there which are staffie proof!
She has bitten through everyone I've got and I'm a bit worried incase she swallows something.
xxx
:j Baby boy Number 2, arrived 12th April 2009!:j

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,527
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Kongs and nylabones are great for bull terriers but even the black kongs for power chewers die after a while, so only use them supervised. My dog is definitely a power chewer, and they last a good few months.
    There's also this stick http://www.jandd-pet-products.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=28
    Not used it myself, so I couldn't say how indestructible it really is.
    There's also boomer balls which are pretty strong, but I got a huge one before I realised how obsessed my mutt was, and had to remove it when she chased it through the garden fence and into next door. http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/boomer.php (You can look up all the kongs here as well - check out the kong flyer, and they also do the black extras strong one.)

Have fun!
    Edit - google power chewer and you'll find loads of ideas.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • sparkle03
    sparkle03 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Lol :D When you find a toy your staffie doesnt shred to bits within a few hours give me a shout as My two are driving me nuts and costing me a fortune!

They can easliy go through a bone a day each and toys barely last 24 hours in our house between the two of them! It doesnt matter how much we spend on them.

Oh well I love them both dearly, but your right it is a bit of a worry about them swallowing things, TMI But the things I have seen in Brandys poop when cleaning the garden!!!:eek:
    The only thing that keeps my mind at rest there is all dogs swallow what they shouldnt and generally it comes out the other end.

Sorry I couldnt be any help where toys are concerned but If I find one Ill send you a pm. Me and OH even went and ordered rope from a boating website and made our own but they didnt last much longer than shop bought toys!

''I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
    Marilyn Monroe
  • Hi
    I have a gorgeous little staffie who in general never chews :eek: :rotfl:
    But when we go out rather than throwing her a stick, i prefer to use a toy.
    Anyway, are there any good toys/balls out there which are staffie proof!
    She has bitten through everyone I've got and I'm a bit worried incase she swallows something.
    xxx

sorry I have no idea about staffy proof toys , but how is she settling in - you sound like you are happy with her!! Can we see any pictures?
  • claire1234
    claire1234 Posts: 693 Forumite
    hiya,

there is one thing my staffies have always loved . . . . . socks!!! lol! any old socks my dogs have always loved playing with like a tug toy,

i toy i did find which lasted a while was from the poundland, it was a orange frisbie with a ball in the middle and a white squeeky newspaper all in a set together,
    this had lasted quite a while, lots of fun!

claire :)
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,527
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Just wanted to add a general comment about how important it is to make sure your dog has the right toys. Mine got really ill when she was given an ordinary dog toy in kennels - she chewed and swallowed some quite sharp bits and was lucky not to perforate herself.
    Sparkle03, I wouldn't get too blase about letting them get hold of things they shouldn't.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • karen098
    karen098 Posts: 31 Forumite
    I have two staffies aged 3 & 4. So far the only toys we have found to last any amount of time are kongs and nylabones.
    Both dogs love these toys and we will no longer waste our money on so called tuff toys only for them to be in bits within 10 mins!

Whatever they get hold of doesn't last even if they are not supposed to have it!! Although my male dog does like an empty plastic bottle - last him about an hour which is longer than most 'indescructable' toys we have bought in the past.

I will say though my female dog like a tennis ball on walks, she doesn't chew it just brings it back to be thrown again and my male dog isn't interested in toys on walk - to busy finding whats hiding in bushes.
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have you tried a traffic cone AM? they last for ages and are free as well :D
  • izzydogsam
    izzydogsam Posts: 190 Forumite
    Another vote for Kongs and Boomer balls here!
    :dance:£2 savers challenge:dance:
    £152/£200
    :naughty:Still trying to pay off my CC :naughty:
    £3,800/£4,343 paid off
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    sorry I have no idea about staffy proof toys , but how is she settling in - you sound like you are happy with her!! Can we see any pictures?
    Yeah she's absolutely fine, it's like we've had her forever, I split up with my OH and was so depressed at the thought of him taking her, but he let me keep her :j
    There are pics on this thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1041425
  • astonsmummy
    astonsmummy Posts: 14,219 Forumite
    DKLS wrote: »
    Have you tried a traffic cone AM? they last for ages and are free as well :D
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family