Son staying on in sixth form and CTC and CA

Comments

• colacubes
    colacubes Posts: 57 Forumite
    CSA said dont worry and just ring them to confirm he is staying on in august as the payments cover september anyhow, but ring august to update. Fair enough.

Thanks for the advice.
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Op , I was in your situation last year when my Daughter was remaining in education. Child benefit office send out a letter to ask if the child intends to remain in eduation and it is just a matter of filling the form in to say that they are intending to stay. This was hassle free and payments continued without any disruption at all.

Tax credits are a different matter. Regardless of whether you inform them that your child will be remaining in education BEFORE 1st September , they CANNOT process this info before then so you MUST ring tco on 1st September to tell them again that your child has stayed on.

You will have a disruption in your payments to take this into account. There will be (at least) 1 week were you do not receive ctc for your child who is going back to education so please be aware of this. It came as a total shock to me when I only received HALF the amount of ctc that I usually received!

It took 2 weeks for my payments to return to normal and there was a thread running on this very topic last year as many of us were very confused as we were without money for 2 weeks whilst oiur claim was restarted yet we didnt get the money paid back (for me I was down £100 per week as that particular child was also receiving the disability premium of tc's) , tco simply spread those "missed" payments out over the rest of the year which meant that although I had been short £200 over the 2 weeks my payments only increased by £8 per week to pull my payments up to date!

Just be aware of this and budget accordingly for the weeks you will be short.

Same experience here too for last year.....I was another who informed them prior to the 1st of Sept and then made sure with a follow up call at the beginning of September. There was a slight disruption in the payments (mine reduced) but it was all sorted out within a week or two and the payments went back to normal.

No idea if it will be the same rigmarole this year as he is staying in 6th form though....

Edit - I did inform child benefit too and was assured that there would be no reduction in payments from tax credits...but there was for one week.
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • colacubes
    Best we all keep an eye then on the payments as we will have done all we can :)
  • no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    OK....if you want to believe that you dont have to contact tco again in September then fine...dont do it....just please dont be posting here moaning when your ctc payments stop!

Trust me...tco CANNOT update your claim now to say that a child will be remaining in school!

Your award will end on 31st August. It is then up to you to ring up to restart the award to take into account that your child has remained in education.

Can someone please try to find the thread from last year and link it to show how many of us were without payment last year whilst we waited on our new awards.
    The loopy one has gone :j
  • colacubes
    Well just incase, to protect myself, I recorded all the calls.
  • colacubes
    OK....if you want to believe that you dont have to contact tco again in September then fine...dont do it....just please dont be posting here moaning when your ctc payments stop!

Hey there is no need to get offended. I was told that they were able to forward the information to ctc that would be requested to continue it, they volunteer to do it as said it was linked. I recorded the calls in any case as said.

I will put a little by just incase my payments are interupted and dont worry i wouldnt want to put any one out with perceived moaning:eek:
  • MsShorty
    MsShorty Posts: 179 Forumite
    Hi. I went through this process 3 years ago when daughter stayed on in 6th form. I advised them around May and when the system updated after 1st September, after one week of reduced payments covering my other two children, the payments for my daughter continued.

Now going through same thing with my 16 year old son. When I renewed, I told them he is staying on in 6th Form in September and is it too early to notify them that my son will be staying in education. She said that she would update it on the system and then when the system updates after 1st September, this will be updated and a new award will be issued at this time, with the payments continuing for my son. Obviously I will ring them at the beginning of September, to check this has been updated. When I did this with my daughter, the change I notified them of in May was indeed on the system and was in process of updating at beginning of September.

Single Sue, my daughter stayed on in 6th form for 1 year and then college for 1 year. Once I had advised them that she was staying on in 6th form, the payments continued indefinitely until I told them that she had left full time education. I presume that this has not changed and that once you have advised them that your child is staying on in education, you merely then inform them when the child leaves. Your award should show if your payments will be changing at the end of this school year.

Hope this helps and I have not babbled on too much!
  • no-oneknowsme
    no-oneknowsme Posts: 1,955 Forumite
    colacubes wrote: »

Hey there is no need to get offended. I was told that they were able to forward the information to ctc that would be requested to continue it, they volunteer to do it as said it was linked. I recorded the calls in any case as said.

I will put a little by just incase my payments are interupted and dont worry i wouldnt want to put any one out with perceived moaning:eek:

Sorry Colacubes...it wasnt YOU I referring to...it was Nad.

They made a comment as if to say that I was lying when I said that there would be a disruption in tc payments.

Honestly , you may well have informed tco that your child intends to remain in education but I assure you , if you do not ring them back on the 1st Sept just to confirm that they actually DID remain in education then your award for that particular child WIL stop.
    The loopy one has gone :j
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite

That's what I was thinking anyone would think you were suggesting he/she was lying.
    I actually as a result of your thread phoned CB and they confirmed the receipt of info regarding my child and I then rang wto and told them and they said information is on the site and it will up date from 1st of Sept, to give time for me to inform them in case she decides to do something else and I asked if I needed to phone again and they said only if these plans change. I also asked if there would be a disruption or payments would cease, she said no not at all. So hopefully last year was a blip.
    Anyway Cola you've already said you'll keep an eye out to be prepared. Glad you got it all worked out.
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite

Sorry Colacubes...it wasnt YOU I referring to...it was Nad.

They made a comment as if to say that I was lying when I said that there would be a disruption in tc payments.

Honestly , you may well have informed tco that your child intends to remain in education but I assure you , if you do not ring them back on the 1st Sept just to confirm that they actually DID remain in education then your award for that particular child WIL stop.

Where did I accuse you of lying I simply gave an alternative point of view which is helpful. I didn't say it didn't happen, it obviously did, I simply said what my experience was, I thought that's what these forums were for to give our own experiences, knowledge and opinion.
    If you read my thread I actually wrote..I don't know why this happened to you. Wow don't take it so personally.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure