PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How self sufficient can you get when you don't have a smallholding?

We do have an allotment, grow fruit in our house garden, recycle/reuse as much as poss, keep bills to the absolute minimum, but how far can you go down the self sufficiency route when you live in a cul-de-sac?

Comments

• As far as is practical, I guess. Self-sufficiency in residential areas can be limited not only by size but by the impact on neighbouring properties. There will undoubtedly be rules about livestock, out-buildings, etc – not everyone will be supportive!

The full blown self-sufficiency thing (generating own power, recycling own waste, trading skills and produce) a la ‘Good Life’ would seem to be difficult to achieve. We all need a certain amount of money to pay council tax, insurance etc.

You seem to be on the right track with the measures you are taking. Hopefully someone will be along with more specific suggestions for you to try. Meantime, good luck and well-done.

'Live simply so that others may simply live'
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    These chaps have a few ideas
    http://www.theyellowhouse.org.uk/
  • metherer
    metherer Posts: 560 Forumite
    I guess it depends on your area, but we have two allotments, once of which is for Chickens. We're getting around 2 eggs a day (5 on boxing day!!) and my DH is downstairs filleting some of the excess cockerels at the moment. Would a second allotment be practicable/possible

The veg allotmentkeeps us ticking over in the summer, and we're hoping to be able to get a lot more organised this year. Some of our excess produce goes to friends in exchange for cleaning goods and fruit bushes (we know a lot of market traders so can barter for good stuff.):j

Like you;ve said, we aren't going to be able to go entirely self sufficient - not nearly enough room to grow wheat etc for bread, and we can't keep livestock, but I think you can make a pretty good start. Its about using what space/resources you have to the best of your ability, and about exchanging goods where possible.

Good luck with it!

Metherer
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • This book has some good ideas:

21st-Century Smallholder: From Window Boxes To Allotments - How To Go Back To The Land Without Leaving Home

Also check out Donnachadh McCarthy's website... he lives in London yet has a solar water heating system, uses rainwater for his WC and has a wind turbine installed on his roof.

3 Acorns

:A
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • well, I will start small this year and convert a large area of my back garden into growing vegetables. I don't think that a full on allotment would be feasible for me yet since I have no clue whatsoever about gardening. My grandma used to have an allotment but I never had any interest back then - wish I did so it's all a big learning curve for me. Will start ripping stuff out as soon as it is a bit drier again and go and get some books from the library.

I love the idea of being self sufficient. As soon as funds allow I want to have a wood burning stove installed downstairs and the gas fire taken away.

Sigh here is to dreaming about the good life - no actually here is to doing something about it!
  • takoo
    takoo Posts: 260 Forumite
    Have a look in the hedgerows along footpaths etc for fruiting apple trees, blackberries, dansons, sloe and a host of other edibles.

Take up roadside horse manure for composting (6 months to one year).

Swap (or sell) plants and seeds at events etc.

Good luck

Takoo
  • Zazen999
    Zazen999 Posts: 6,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    French Maid

About the books, try the Grapevine Forum; there's loads of advice, it is linked with Grow your Own magazine, and there are loads of experts on there; a lot of them have blogs which they update regularly so you can always see what others are doing.

You don't have to have a clue, you learn as you go. Just make up the rules yourself and take the advice you want to take as you go.
  • We have 2 allotments side by side which amounts to about 20m x 10m. We're on a learning curve as well, but getting better every year.
    We're building a polytunnel and small greenhouse this year to maximise crops. We are looking to buy a wood burner and hook it up to the central heating and on our to do list is the book free food. There are some fruit bushes wild around by us and in particular a morello cherry tree which is little known about :)
  • Ah yes GYO is Dh's fav read atm
  • Zazen999 wrote: »
    French Maid

About the books, try the Grapevine Forum; there's loads of advice, it is linked with Grow your Own magazine, and there are loads of experts on there; a lot of them have blogs which they update regularly so you can always see what others are doing.

You don't have to have a clue, you learn as you go. Just make up the rules yourself and take the advice you want to take as you go.

Thank you - will have a look! This is Year One growing for me if this goes well then I will get an allotment next year. I just didn't want to throw everything at it and then take on too much, get disappointed and then stop.... I know myself too well, small bites, be happy, learn more and do more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure