Need the exact date I passed my driving test?

2»

Comments

• torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Forumite
    My paper licence (I have no other) has a box stating date of Category B test pass.

I have changed my address on this licence at least 5 times since it was first issued and the valid from date is still listed as 6 days after the test pass date.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With a 30 or 40 year old licence, just put in any date that makes sense. There's no way on earth they could claim that "1st April 1969" instead of "15th Dec 1969" was a material error of fact, especially since both were before DVLA existed so exact records may no longer exist!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    Ive only ever put the year - 1979. I cant remember the date either.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the date of pass test is on the rear of my photocard..

18-10-2004 for me..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I just make it up
    It really doesnt matter surely? especially when you have more than a few years driving experience
    does it matter if its 20 or 21 years I have been driving?
    As said its on the back of the photocard if you have one but I dont bother
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2012 at 12:17PM
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I cant believe that some people cant remember such a life changing date, I paseed my test on the glorious 12th, Ive just aske hubby and his was July 1st 1975

Well, you'd better believe it!
    I, and it would seem, many others don't know the EXACT date. It wasn't exactly "life changing" for me. I remember it was 1968 and winter. So I just quote a made up date of 1st February 1968. I don't even know if that is a Sunday, if so nobody has checked or queried it.:)
    The back of my licence just states <24/10/74 for all the groups listed.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,545
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    sunnyone wrote: »
    I cant believe that some people cant remember such a life changing date, I paseed my test on the glorious 12th, Ive just aske hubby and his was July 1st 1975

I definitely passed in 1970, in May, (I think), but which day???
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • My first email to Tesco Compare:-
    You want to know the exact date I passed my driving test. This was in 1968 - 44 years ago - but I don't know the exact date. It is NOT shown on my driving licence. What should I do?

Tesco's reply:
    Thank you for your e-mail received by Tesco Compare on 27/12/12 regarding the date you’re passed your driving test. If you are unaware of the exact date in which you passed your driving test and do not have the new style driving licence where this is shown, then you can obtain the date by contacting the DVLA.

My reply:
    Thank you for your reply of 28 December 2012, but unfortunately the information you have given me is incorrect. I have spoken to DVLA who have informed me that for licences issued prior to 1974 they do NOT hold any information about the date when anyone passed their driving test. They have told me that nobody holds this information. Your company's requirement that drivers enter the exact date when they passed their test therefore constitutes age discrimination because many drivers who are more than 56 years of age (ie: born in 1956 or earlier) will have passed their driving tests at the age of 17 in 1973 and therefore they will not be able to obtain the date of their driving test pass from DVLA. If they have retained this information themselves then they will be able to provide it, but if they have not retained it (and there is no legal requirement for anyone to do so) then they will not be able to provide it and accordingly will be placed at a disadvantage compared to younger drivers because they will not be able to access your comparison service. The relevant legislation is Part 3 of the Equality Act 2010 which came into force on 1 October 2012. Most financial services are exempt from this provision but where a risk assessment is conducted for the purposes of providing a financial service, the exception will only apply if the risk assessment, in so far as it involves a consideration of the person’s age, is done by reference to information which is both relevant to the assessment of risk and from a source on which it is reasonable to rely. Your current service fails the necessary test of reasonableness and is therefore unlawful.

Tesco's reply:
    Thank you for your patience whilst I have fully investigated your complaint..... I have now fully investigated your complaint and can confirm that our IT team are going to make a change to the website to add additional information for drivers who have held their licence since before 1974. This text will advise our customer that only the year in which you past your test is required, and a generic day and month can be added as only the year is taken into account for insurance risk checks. We would like to thank you for your feedback and bringing this to our attention. The reason we request the date on which a licence was obtained is due to some of our partner insurers requiring this information to allow them to provide the most accurate quotation in an attempt to reduce the cost of your insurance.

SUCCESS!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport