Do you refund on postage if refunding an item sold on eBay?

Comments

• richto
    richto Posts: 821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I dont normally refund send or return postage. Those conditions are clearly stated upfront and item pricing is on that basis. If an item was supplied faulty or of 'unmerchantable quality' and the buyer insisted on a full refund rather than a replacement then I would probably refund postage. However no one has asked for a refund for that reason yet in 2 years, and I trade £100K a year!

Very occassionally buyers ask for a refund of return postage costs where goods were faulty or incorrect and I consider those on a case by case basis, but by default we encourage buyers to meet these costs in the event that something needs returning.

If they wish to return items under the 7 days required under the distance selling regulations then in addition to deducting postage costs we also deduct our 10% service fees included in the item price as they have already received the service.
    Again this is stated up front that service fees are to be treated as a seperate contract from delivery and the cost of the item. This covers ebay final value and relisting costs, etc. This makes sure we are not out of pocket from returns and still meets the requirements of the Distance Selling Regulations.
  • I've never had a faulty item returned to me, though if I did I'd refund postage both ways. If a buyer complained of a fairly minor fault I'd normally give the choice of a partial refund if they keep the item, or a full refund if they return it. For items lost in the post, I refund the payment I received - purchase price plus whatever I charged for p&p. I have a returns policy that customers may return items which do no fit or are unwanted for some other reason but not faulty, but I will only refund the purchase price minus my eBay fees. No-one has sent back an item that doesn't fit for a partial refund yet.
  • Katyag
    Katyag Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    Im having this to-do now.

Buyer claims item was faulty but it wasnt when i sent it. He wants a refund (its minimal) and because its minimal he wants to keep the item. I said no so now he wants all postage inc the return postage. Im willing to refund his original postage but not return postage as i dont believe its faulty. He has sent me pics but like a previous poster i wont accept any fault til i see it.
    Bringing up 2 handsome boys and 1 gorgeous girl the MSE way!
    Joseph born 19th December 2001
    Matthew born 8th August 2007
    Tara born 23rd January 2011
  • As a Commercial Platinum Power Seller with great feedback, we have adopted a responsible attitude to returns and there are some points to consider. The main thing is that selling commercially on eBay does not exempt you from the Sales of Goods act or the distance selling regulations. So under the distance selling regulations our customers have the right to return goods by notifying the seller of the their intention to excercise their right to return within 7 days starting the day after they receive the goods. (this is increased to 30 days if the seller does not inform the customer of their right to cancel). So my point is if some of the people saying on this post if the customers have changed their mind we wont accept it back, then they are breaking the law if they are selling commercially. I find it staggering how many eBay sellers seem to think because they are selling on eBay the law doesn't apply to them.

With regards to carriage. Our policy is straight forward. Our fault we pay. Customers fault they pay. And by pay I mean cost of both outward and return carriage. If a customer makes a genuine mistake and orders a replacement item, we will usually send the replacement free if they send the unwanted item back to us. It is amazing how far good customer service can take your business.

tag: buyatool
  • Distance Selling regulations state that the buyer is entitled to a 7 day cooling off period thus entitling them to a refund. We will only refund full costs if the item is returned to us in A1 condition and in it's original packaging. We only refund postage if the item is found to be geniunely faulty.

https://www.haveyouseenthis-ebay.co.uk
  • steveh2001
    steveh2001 Posts: 1,270
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I refund mine if IVE made a mistake e.g. sent the wrong item, if it the buyers mistake, i dont
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    #16 & #16

If you are a commercial trader, then that applys, but if you are simply just selling your own belongings (not buying to sell) or selling for friends, then this does not apply.

I'm not a business, I just sell things I no longer want or need.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Benji
    Benji Posts: 640 Forumite
    Glad to see that this post is coming around to the legal aspects of the question - after all we'd all be aghast if Tesco decided to ignore their legal responsibilities wouldn't we?

I guess it's difficult to decide if you're a business or not - but the requirements of the distance selling regulations are really just good business practice and if every eBayer was compelled to adhere to it there would be a lot more satisfied eBayers - and that means more customers for all of us.

If it's your fault ~ then the customer shouldn't bear any costs
    If it's not your fault ~ then the customer has to cover the shipping costs

BTW, don't forget that under British Law you are responsible for the item until it arrives at the buyers address, so if the PO squash it, it's your responsibility and you have to take that up with the PO.
    Life should be a little nuts; otherwise it's just a bunch of Thursdays strung together.
  • steveh2001
    steveh2001 Posts: 1,270
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Benji wrote:
    Glad to see that this post is coming around to the legal aspects of the question - after all we'd all be aghast if Tesco decided to ignore their legal responsibilities wouldn't we?

I guess it's difficult to decide if you're a business or not - but the requirements of the distance selling regulations are really just good business practice and if every eBayer was compelled to adhere to it there would be a lot more satisfied eBayers - and that means more customers for all of us.

If it's your fault ~ then the customer shouldn't bear any costs
    If it's not your fault ~ then the customer has to cover the shipping costs

BTW, don't forget that under British Law you are responsible for the item until it arrives at the buyers address, so if the PO squash it, it's your responsibility and you have to take that up with the PO.

I agree with your last sentance - the postage "contract" is between the seller and RM, so i always refund if the post is lost/damaged and claim later.

However recently i had a case where i sold a DVD and the guy claimed it was black and white on his TV (was a box set with 3 series in) and i found it difficult to believe that all 3 series came out black and white and the disks were faulty. So in this case i said return the DVDs and if they all come out black and white on my TV ill refund you in full inc return postage, and if not ill refund minus my postage costs, and of course they worked perfectly on my TV (guess he either didnt like the set or copied them and sent them back...) so i refunded him minus the postage costs.

And i do specify no returns for incompatibility on the auction page (for DVDs) so if they dont read the auction properley its not really my fault (unless the disks were faulty).

But i also had a case where i sent the wrong DVD, where i sent out the correct DVD and told them to keep the other DVD :D
  • I agree with most posts about refunds , to my cost just got my 1st neg feedback . Buyer was very rude abrupt & insulting I offered refund then he leaves me neg feedback saying I refused to refund him . He then sends report via paypal saying i was miselling an item , hes still not replied since i offered refund if item returned. I asked him to withdraw feedback , again more insults wanted me to refund him before return of goods & said I should suffer with neg feedback .
    I now only leave feedback after feedback is received . I always refund if buyer unhappy , usually including postage . (except beauty items ). I am always very polite & professional no matter how the buyer is with me.
    In fact the more a buyer is rude the more polite I am as they usually back down & realise I am not trying to con them .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure