Starting again, 1% at a time. 100 ways to make £80!

Comments

• MrOrchard
    MrOrchard Posts: 207 Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 1:26PM
    Number 180 checking in, I've just passed 4% (well, I'm at 3.98% now, with 0.02% coming in this afternoon), and am having a quick cup of Earl Grey to celebrate.

I'm still waiting for my Musicmagpie money and some expenses, so another 0.5% to come there as well!
  • I everyone, hibernating in my bed today. So cold.

Find out if I get the job tomorrow. Might be awkward as ill find out at work - while working with one of the others who went for the job :/.

Welcome to WorkFromHome and unoriginal_uk and iwannabeasaver. LMUD has made up loads of ideas to get the debt whittled down or those savings built up.

No snow for me but very cold and icy. Think i might overheat in the sauna after work before i cycle home so hopefully i wont be an icicle!!

My %'s has slowed down considerably now i don't have my babysitting. Need to find something to give me that little extra push to the end. Hoping its not Ebay :(
    1% at a time challenge member #127

MWF: as@ Oct13 £45,917, now £43,024.56
  • Thanks for the welcome :) I am home too today, been recovering from surgery on and off the last few weeks so staying in bed today!

The ebay items I listed yesterday have some watchers and one item has a bid so that's good! They are all set to finish next week so I will update then. I also just managed to count my £2 terracotta pot using a knife and a pair of tweezers (!) and I have £180 in there so far. I put it back but I guess I could count that towards my % so far?

So I guess that means:

£180 so far (£2 pot) = 3.6%

Woohoo!! My first %'s!!! :beer:

I shall await my official member number so I can do a proper update :) I have created a fancy little spreadsheet though which records all the %'s for me so that will spur me on to keep on track - I am a little obsessive with spreadsheets but having one is the reason I've paid off so much debt this year so I can't complain!
    Official DFW Nerd 1390 MFW 0/1800

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle
  • I also just managed to count my £2 terracotta pot using a knife and a pair of tweezers (!)

Hahaha that definitely made me giggle - how long did that take you?

Im at work later for 4 hours this aft/eve. Bit of additional hours :).

Need to make myself some dinner from leftovers so i don't go raiding the vending. I WILL have Decembers NSD no 5 today :D

• unoriginal_uk
    unoriginal_uk Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 6 December 2012 at 2:55PM
    Yes it was a very painful process! It took about an hour. Like an idiot I was sat there thinking 'I'm sure this didn't take this long last time' - because last time I only had £100 in there! Definitely having a blonde day today!

I would definitely recommend having surgery as a great (albeit slightly extreme) way of saving money - I've barely spent a penny in 6 weeks apart from Christmas presents and money given to the other half to do essential food shopping!

Before that, though, I just found cutting down on silly little things made so much difference - I gave up smoking 9 weeks ago after 10 years (having upcoming surgery spurred me on to do this) which made the biggest difference as I used to spend £150 a month on cigarettes!!! I now put this into a separate pot and this is my monthly treat pot - having my hair done, lunch with the girls, etc. If I use all the money, I don't get anymore treats - simple as!

I also take my own lunch to work now, don't buy Starbucks coffee anymore and I record EVERYTHING on a monthly spend spreadsheet (itemised by date, amount and item/expenditure) which I now update religiously everytime I buy something - this tends to make me think long and hard everytime I am about to spend money - and most of the time I don't end up buying that certain thing because it means I have to 'Answer to the spreadsheet.....'

Competitions won so far: A years free pizza/Eden project trip & hotel stay/Baby gift set/Baby voucher/Baby bottle/Books/Pedometer/Soup and Mug/Dotcom gift bundle

• Thanks LMUD for this thread... It has given me the kick I need to start earning some extra dosh to save!! And it's also reminded me to not give myself such a hard time about my debt....I've done really well the last year especially, and I also gave up smoking two months ago and have cut down my non-essential expenses majorly (I am surprised Starbucks didn't go out of business at this point!) so I should give myself a pat on the back.....and more to the point you all should by the looks of your amazing %'s :)

Congratulations on giving up smoking unoriginal_uk - I gave up Aug 2011 and took the kids abroad this year, and then flew back into the UK, dropped them off with the Grandparents, changed suitcases and flew out to Venice with OH 12 hours later for a long weekend - there is no way we could have afforded that whilst we were both smoking.

Also, I'm really impressed with your debt busting so far - you signature will soon say Debt Free! Not long now!!!
    MrOrchard wrote: »
    Hi MrOrchard - I'm still waiting for my Musicmagpie money and some expenses, so another 0.5% to come there as well!

I received my email from Musicmagpie yesterday to say they've received my 98 CD's and they are being tested - I doubt I'll get the full whack of what they quoted - some CD's have spent years rolling around the floor of the car!
    Find out if I get the job tomorrow. Might be awkward as ill find out at work - while working with one of the others who went for the job :/.

How did you get on specialkaye?

iwannabeasaver - Great news on the PPI - I really must knuckle down to this one.

Only news for me is another virtual wine passed to Next Account and I was offered a mystery shop yesterday for £15 and as I had to go into town anyway to collect a prescription, I decided to do it. So when that comes in, I'll send it to Next too.

Well done everybody.

TMD xx
    Decluttering junk and debt in 2016
    Debts - Vanquis £3500 1/1/16; DFD - when I'm dead with £100,000,000+ interest :eek: UPDATED Feb 2016 £2739.80; DFD June 2016 :j
    Next - £1500 1/1/16 DFD about 10 years time. UPDATED Feb 2016 £1371.16; DFD July 2016 :j
    THE GOAL IS TO HAVE NO DEBT BY THE END OF 2016
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    £10 off my friend next tues for a DVD we bought, watched and prob won't watch again! Cost us £14 originally so not too bad.

Got £45 coming tomorrow off a friend for something I sold. :j

Also stayed in budget for today's sling meet (£25 budget) spent £24.90 :j

Sarah x
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • I GOT THE JOB!!!!!

wasnt expecting to hear back so soon and it was a little awkward but not too bad. Start on the 17th. First ever full time job. Exciting times.

And tbh ill be glad to finish my little cleaning job. the cycling 3 miles each way up hills is killing me. and i dont feel any fitter either :(.

• Congrats SpecialKaye that's brilliant!! So pleased for you!

Quick completely unrelated question directed at everyone - does Cash4Discs still exist? I just googled them from Little Miss's initial list and cannot find them anywhere - when i type the web address https://www.cash4discs.co.uk into google they don't seemt to be there?

Just wondering if CEX and Music Magpie are now my only two options for selling CDs/DVDs (Apart from bootsales and ebay which I am going to leave for the ones that CEX/MM won't give me much for)

• Elmly
    Elmly Posts: 103 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Please sign me up! My 1st target is 4k by April and I already have about 1.8k so 45% through.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure