Water Damage To Passport?

2»

Comments

• dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you do ring the passport office I'm sure they will play safe and tell you to renew. They are really not going to be able - over the phone - to say anything else.

So use that phone call to make an appointment to renew.

Don't forget to do a fresh ESTA for the Americans - it will be needed as the passport number will be different.
  • AWOL_2
    AWOL_2 Posts: 210 Forumite
    good point, the guys at the passport office were friendly and helpful. They are not allowed to advise us to risk it, as we would say they we were told it would be ok.

Also they take the stance any water damage makes it invalid, its safer than trying to guess what the damage looks like over the phone right.

I would have renewed my passport if i had 7 days... but these things happen .. it just made my holiday all the more enjoyable when i was there... half expected getting turned away
  • franklally
    franklally Posts: 471 Forumite
    I certainly wouldn't risk it. My bil got turned away by easyjet 2 years ago with a water damaged passport - it cost him a fortune to get one with an emergency passport interview to allow him to travel the same week. If you renew online it should be with you within the week.
  • I applied for a new passport in March 2011 in readiness for our summer holiday.
    We recently spent a week in Turkey and whilst away my son knocked over a bottle of water. I didn't realise that some water had spilled on my passport which was on the side.
    When we got to passport control in Turkey to return home to the UK I opened my passport to show my picture and my picture had more or less disappeared! I was so shocked but remembered the water incident and realised it must be down to that. I had to be taken into a side room (very embarrassing) and luckily I had my photo driving licence with me so was allowed to board the plane home.
    When we arrived at Bournemouth airport again I had to show my passport and I explained to the very friendly guy what had happened. He said I was very lucky that I was allowed to board the flight home and said he had never seen this happen before.
    I explained that myself and husband had recently renewed our passports but my son has an old style one which has a thick laminate across the photo to protect it. Our new ones do not have this which I think is terrible that it has totally damaged the photo. It was just abit of bottled water not been thrown into a swimming pool or anything like that!
    I don't really want to spend out again for another passport, has anyone else come across this problem? Would it be worth me writing a letter to the issuers of passport. Would they issue another FOC I wonder?
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    I've heard of money laundering but............................
  • Hello,, my passport has been through the washer the edges are all wrinkled but there is no damage to the photo page exept round the edges... do you think i can fly to turkey in july?
  • Bob_the_Saver
    Bob_the_Saver Posts: 5,610 Forumite
    edited 14 June 2012 at 11:50AM
    Tracey2609 wrote: »
    After watching reality shows like Airport, I think that you'd need a new passport. I know that it's not cheap, but at least it'll be valid for another 10 years...

Plus I think 9 months on top if there is that much left on the old one.

I'm not talking about any of these posts, but I am always amazed how little care some people take with their passports, left in full view in cars, hanging out of pockets in airports, just left on the cabinet in hotel rooms etc. etc.
    If you were meant to put passports in a washing machine there would be a
    passport cycle on the dial.
    I know exactly where my passport is 100% of the time.
  • Judith_W
    Judith_W Posts: 754 Forumite
    PS - I thought the passport advice line was 0300 - like 01 or 02 number?
  • Janeyjaz
    Janeyjaz Posts: 544 Forumite
    free helpline
    Titch :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business