PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

scaling up cake recipe - 9" square cake - UPDATE with pictures

Comments

• dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Jill

Most basic sponge recipes are round, which doesn't matter as long as you know how to match cake tin sizes.

A 7 inch round tin is the same as a 6 inch square tin (and so on). So, for a 9" square tin, you need the quantities for a 10 inch round mixture. Now, that's pretty big - probably too big - for standard sponge recipes. These are usually for 7" round (6 square) or 8" round (7 inch square). Because of the way sponges cook, you can't just increase the quantities and hope for the best.

For your sized tin, you could make a fruit cake (which happily doubles, trebles, quadruples mix sizes), or a madeira cake.

For your 9 in square madeira you will need
    250g Plain flour
    250g self raising
    450g unsalted softened butter or soft margarine
    450g caster sugar
    8 size 3 eggs (this is about 7 large eggs)
    60ml milk (in place of water in previous posters recipe)
    flavourings as required (vanilla essence, orange rind, lemon rind)

You can follow the instructions in the previous posters info.
    Cooking time is 1.75 to 2 hours

Note that the tin should be quite deep.

If you want to make very quick and easy sponge cakes, like a delicious all in one sponge which is very quick to make, then it would be worth while investing in a pair of 7 inch round tins - for verstility, make sure its at least an inch deep.

Here's the recipe - you'll see why it might be worth the tin investment:
    4oz SR flour, 1tsp baking powder, 4 oz soft margarine at room temp, 4 oz caster sugar, 2 large eggs, 2-3 drops vanilla essence or extract.

Put everything in a bowl, whisk withy an electric whisk for about a minute util everything is blended.

Pour mixture into buttered (and preferabley base lined) tins. Level off, bake at Has 3 (170C) for 30 mins. Leave in tin for a minute before turning out. When cold, sandwich together with your choice of filling.
  • powershopper
    powershopper Posts: 329 Forumite
    the reason your yummy cake is cracked on top and runny inside is because the oven is too hot. Next time try a slower setting and a slightly firmer cake mix (maderia is fine)
    hope this helps
  • JillD_2
    JillD_2 Posts: 1,773 Forumite
    blimey a lot of replies today! sorry for not replying to each indiviually, I am shattered (23 weeks pregnant, 2 pre school children and a late night's cake making not a restful combination :) )

I didnt really realise sponge cake and madeira weren't the same :o
    I can't makea fruit cake as its for my son's 4th birthday and all his friends won't be his friends any more if they get fruit cake at his party :rotfl: plus he will never speak to me again as he hates raisins :rotfl:

The cake I made last night is ok and would suffice in terms of consistency but it isn't deep enough and I wanted to get it done tonight when I got in from work whilst kids playing and in the bath. So I decided to make the usual two 8inch rounds that I do.
    Last year I made a fire engine out of these sandwiched on top of each other so I think I should be able to make a very similarly sized Lightning McQueen.

The square I made last night will do for a cake to have at home for tea on his actual birthday with grandparents.

I will definitely try the madeira cake recipes provided, thanks very much. I want to experiment with making square cakes without the time pressure of a party at the weekend :eek:

And I will definitely post a photo of the finished article when I do it. Probably tomorrow night as I am too tired now :cool:

Thanks again
    Jill
    Jan GC: £202.65/£450 (as of 4-1-12)
    NSDs: 3
    Walk to school: 2/47
    Bloater challenge: £0/0lbs

• JillD_2
    Well I managed to hack together a Lightning McQueen out of 2 round cakes, and photos of the finished product are here:
    http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=164975099/a=41763447_41763447/fromupload=true/t_=41763447

I'm pretty chuffed and my son LOVED it :T :j

• brazilianwax
    brazilianwax Posts: 9,438 Forumite
    OMG Jill - that's BRILLIANT!!!!

I want one for my 30th!!!!!!

Well done you!!!! :T :T :T
    :A MSE's turbo-charged CurlyWurlyGirly:A
    ;)Thinks Naughty Things Too Much Clique Member No 3, 4 & 5 ;)
  • JillD_2
    ooh cheers, do you really think so ???
    Its one of those things where I spent so long fiddling at it and whatnot that you really cant tell if its ok or just utterly cr@p LOL
    Tell you what though, cutting it up to eat was soul destroying LOL

• MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    WOW
    Im pretty mean at cooking and baking...but havent got an artistic bone in my body....luckily my mum used to make wedding/celebration cakes... im soooooooo impressed.....what a result ....rounds of applause :-)
    jill
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • brazilianwax
    JillD wrote: »
    ooh cheers, do you really think so ???
    Its one of those things where I spent so long fiddling at it and whatnot that you really cant tell if its ok or just utterly cr@p LOL
    Tell you what though, cutting it up to eat was soul destroying LOL

totally!!!!! can I order one now???

:D:D:D
  • JillD_2
    LOL it may look ok but you haven't tasted it LOL
    My son wouldnt eat it. Mind you he never eats anything that I/we bake :rotfl:

And he begged for chocolate cake which hubs won't eat - so it looks like te leftovers are mine all mine :p

• brazilianwax
    JillD wrote: »
    LOL it may look ok but you haven't tasted it LOL
    My son wouldnt eat it. Mind you he never eats anything that I/we bake :rotfl:

And he begged for chocolate cake which hubs won't eat - so it looks like te leftovers are mine all mine :p

that's inspired!!!!

i somehow managed to end up making the cake for my mate's 30th next weekend. chocolate fudge cake in the shape of a top hat..... (don't ask)

plus a few dozen cupcakes.

me and my big mouth!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure